One goal enough for Crabs in cup

Cromer Town 1, Acle United 0

Cromer Town entertained Acle in the third round of the Norfolk Senior Cup and progressed to the next round with the only goal of the game.

Wilton and Bugdale both returned to the starting 11 but with Harwood and Hinton unavailable both Cameron and Durrant made starts. Sharman was also rested due to a niggling hamstring injury.

The visitors had the first opportunity of the game through Thompson but Osborne saved at his near post.

In the 12th minute the Crabs had their first effort and they took the lead. Horton's corner was flicked on by Terrington at the near post to Cameron who head home from close range.

After this both teams had their share of possession but could only create of couple of half-chances but nothing telling. Cromer went in with the lead at the break.

In the second half it was Acle who look the more threatening of the two teams. The ball was played through to the run of Maddison who forced a smart save from Osborne but the ball stayed in play and ran across to Thompson who should have scored, but his effort was blocked on the line by Landamore. Soon after Thompson had another effort but he fired straight at Osborne.

Most Read

Cromer appeared to have weathered the Acle storm and with about 15 minutes remaining some superb one-touch play involving McCabe, Wilton and Terrington ended with the latter laying the ball to Landamore whose driving run through the defence finished with his toe-poke effort rolling just the wrong side of the post.

The closing minutes were fairly uneventful and Cromer were able to keep a clean sheet and go into the hat for this Friday's fourth-round draw.

Saturday see a trip to Division One side Poringland in the Mummery Cup (1.30pm).

Cromer Town 4, Norwich St Johns 1

YET another win for the Crabs who moved three points clear at the top of the Anglian Combination Premier table.

They took the lead when Harwood took a free-kick just inside the visitors' half and delivered an excellent ball into the penalty area where Terrington rose well and headed into the bottom left corner.

The home side's passing football was causing problems for the visiting defence and Cromer's Eves got the ball just inside the box but fired just over.

Horton won the ball back in his own half and then played it forward to Hinton who then closed on goal but his shot was saved by Vincent. The ball came back out to Terrington whose effort was also kept out by Vincent.

For all their possession Cromer did finally get that second goal before the break. Harwood's long clearance was allowed to bounce by the St Johns defence and it ran to Hinton who had time to get set and finished through the goalkeeper's legs.

Cromer made the ideal start to the second half grabbing a third on 50 minutes. Play broke down in the middle of the pitch and Landamore picked the ball up and broke quickly and was unchallenged before he reached the goalkeeper and slotted the ball past him.

Against the run of play, St Johns pulled a goal back with a superb strike. Soon after Blofeld was through one on one with Osborne, but the Cromer number one stayed big to deny the St Johns winger.

It was 4-1 when Hinton went to the by-line before chipping the ball to the back post for Terrington to head home.