One goal enough
North Walsham Ladies 1, Sprowston Ladies 0NORTH Walsham Ladies deservedly beat their mid-table hockey rivals Sprowston in the first league game played in the new year.
North Walsham Ladies 1, Sprowston Ladies 0
NORTH Walsham Ladies deservedly beat their mid-table hockey rivals Sprowston in the first league game played in the new year.
Both teams began very competitively with quick running breaks needing to be soaked up by both defences as the game went end to end.
Sprowston became the more dominant force with the Walsham defence needing to soak up significant amounts of pressure. Their keeper, Marie Meale, made a couple of fine reaction saves.
You may also want to watch:
However, a quick break from the back with some clever possession play in the circle set up the captain, Ellen Vanlint, for the only goal, following up on a saved strike by Nicky Pye.
This dampened Sprowston's spirits and allowed Walsham to take back control for the remainder of the half, although they were unable to add to their tally.
- 1 How a now quiet North Norfolk village was once a bustling European port
- 2 How a north Norfolk holiday hotspot was before tourists
- 3 Why have Norfolk and Suffolk been placed in Tier 2?
- 4 'We just need a vaccine' - Cromer reacts to being placed in tier two
- 5 All the major Christmas events in Norfolk that can go ahead
- 6 'Little morsels of heaven' - Why Heydon Tea Rooms is a must-visit for cake lovers
- 7 Delay warnings ahead of abnormal load move
- 8 Street’s Christmas lights switched on early to “brighten things up”
- 9 Davies, Blogg, Sadler and Shipp - Local families inspire school’s new house system
- 10 People released from car after crash closes road
The second half saw both teams start positively, but despite Walsham conceding a number of short corners, their defence held strong. A quick breakthrough from Charlotte Else saw her cleverly beat the Sprowston defence and keeper but she was just unable to squeeze the ball between the goal posts.
Although both teams continued to try and attack, the game ended 1-0 with a deserved three points for Walsham.
Team: Marie Meale, Jo Hadley, Min Tallowin, Nicky Pye, Lucy Spencer, Jenny Marshall, Jo Todd, Ellen Vanlint, Julie Mercer, Sue Gardiner, Sarah Powell, Charlotte Else, Bobby Pye.