North Walsham Raiders win game - after being told they had lost it!

Acky Downing in the thick of the action for North Walsham against Amersham & Chiltern at Scottow on

Acky Downing in the thick of the action for North Walsham against Amersham & Chiltern at Scottow on Saturday. Picture: Hywel Jones - Credit: Archant

There were five hard won points for the Raiders and two equally well deserved ones for their opponents in a game which the home side led throughout but were on the back foot and down to 13 when the referee blew for full-time.

He then caused some consternation by telling the visitors that they had won 41-39 but after a check on his scorecard admitted a mistake and the Raiders had come out on top.

Selection problems not helped by illness meant that the Raiders' pack was below full strength, but the back line had pace in abundance.

With the visitors arriving with their traditional big pack it was obvious that as the game wore on the Raiders would struggle. Fortunately they got off to a good start with Freddie Henley-Hunter crossing the line twice, both going unconverted.

An outstanding interception by Henry Hunt and a quick offload and centre Ted Morgan went over and converted. Full back Harry Dye ensured the bonus point with the fourth try before Morgan scored his second. With 10 minutes of the half remaining GY-B reduced the deficit with a converted try and two penalties to make it 27-13.

Injury to prop Mark McCall meant a change to the front row and the forwards were soon under the cosh and a penalty try reduced the advantage. The Raiders re-grouped and a second try for Dye, a third for Morgan and one for scrum-half Will Quinn stretched the lead to 24 points with about 15 minutes remaining.

The visitors were virtually camped in the Raiders 22 and their giant pack took, over gaining a second penalty try. The referee yellow carded skipper George Rossi and Michael Batty and the depleted pack had no answer as they conceded two more converted tries before the referee blew for full-time.

Most Read

This Saturday sees the first break in the action for North Walsham first team, a break which will be welcomed after a long pre-season and some competitive games. Coach James Brooks will nonetheless be keeping up the training schedule to maintain fitness for the return to action on October 21 against newly promoted South Woodham Ferrers.

While everyone else in Greene King Eastern Counties EC One North also has a break the Raiders will be in action at Scottow against Norwich Medics (3pm).