North Walsham off to a good start, while Cromer get first points on board
- Credit: Archant
North Walsham Town have made a flying start to the new Almary Green Anglian Combination season by recording two emphatic away victories.
They kicked off their campaign with a 3-1 at neighbours Stalham.
The Angels were always in control in the Division One opener and were 3-0 up at the break thanks to a hat-trick from Liam Jackson. Substitute Nicky Wood pulled a goal back in the second half but the visitors comfortably saw out the game.
Then North Walsham travelled to Holt and came away with a 4-0 win. Jackson chipped in with two more goals while Grant Johnson and Anthony Davies were also on target.
Sheringham got their campaign up and running with a impressive derby win of their own against Holt. The Shannocks won 5-1 with Chris Fuller and Jamie Nelson scoring twice and Scott Sutherland-Gray also on target. Lee Clarke scored Holt's consolation goal, their first of the season.
The win was a timely tonic for Sheringham whose thoughts were with midfielder Tom Little, who suffered a broken shin in the opening fixture at Wymondham Town, which was subsequently abandoned.
Aylsham were brought down to earth with a bump when they were beaten 5-0 at Hellesdon after winning their opening fixture 7-0 at Holt.
- 1 Norfolk's bee-eaters: Your pictures of the Trimingham colony
- 2 Public toilets in north Norfolk 'swamped' by campervan waste
- 3 Stunning bee-eaters draw over 5,000 bird watchers to north Norfolk coast
- 4 Town Post Office opening date revealed
- 5 Banking counter to open after town's last branch closes
- 6 Sainsbury's moves to quash rumour of till closures at Norfolk store
- 7 Historic town centre shop could become home
- 8 Competition offers free week at Cromer beach chalet
- 9 Feuding local leaders meet - but both leave unsatisfied
- 10 Host a roast dinner with unlimited Yorkshire puds at newly-refurbished pub
The two north Norfolk sides met last Friday evening, with honours ending even as Aylsham came away from Sheringham with a 1-1 draw.
Sutherland-Gray scored first for the Shannocks, with James Oliver replying from the spot for the visitors.
Stalham bounced back from their derby defeat on Saturday when they hammered Foulsham 6-1. Lawrence Cheese was the star man, scoring four times, while Lewis Smith and Antoni Fawkes also hit the target.
Holt entertain Foulsham this Friday evening while Saturday's fixtures are Beccles v North Walsham, Loddon v Aylsham and Hempnall v Sheringham and Tuesday evening's games are Holt v Stalham and Sheringham v Hellesdon.
Sheringham's Under-18s gave Norwich City's FITC a great game before going down 3-2 = a fine achievement against some of Norfolk's hand picked talent.
n Cromer Town got their first points of the season on board in the Premier Division on Tuesday evening when they beat Dersingham Rovers 1-0 at Cabbell Park, with new signing Lewis Smith getting the goal. See next week's paper for a full report.