North Walsham FC celebrate second win of season

North Walsham 2 Hempnall 0

North Walsham, after eight consecutive defeats, finally gained their second win of the season by beating fellow strugglers Hempnall.

Town were presented with an early opportunity as a Broom free-kick was headed at the keeper from Davies. Clarke, making his first team debut, was tackling hard but gave away a free-kick which Murphy in the home goal dealt with while new signing Reynolds was winning headers and tackles.

Most of North Walsham' s best play in the first half came via Broom down the left hand side. Another corner lead to another Davies header that was cleared off the line.

At the othe end a disputed corner led to a goalmouth scramble and a shot over the bar and Murphy had to save after a shot was deflected off Lawrence, another debutant this season.

Davies, made captain, was involved in much of North Walsham's good play in the final third and just after the half hour mark he combined well with Skipper and Gauntlett, with the latter eventually shooting over.

With Town's top scorer Kerry kept quiet on the right the teams went in at the break level at 0-0.

Most Read

At half-time North Walsham switched Skipper to the right and put Kerry down the middle and it almost reaped instant reward. A good build-up led to a throw in which was given to Kerry who made space, chested and volleyed over.

Within a minute, Hempnall almost took the lead. A long ball was left by everyone and Murphy saved brilliantly and Reynolds cleared the rebound when the striker was odds on to score. The resulting corner caused havoc and was cleared off the line.

This was the start of a bright spell by the visitors. They first had a direct free-kick put wide and then another long ball was initially misjudged by Murphy who recovered well to scoop the ball away from the striker.

Despite this pressure, Town still had positive play of their own with Kerry and Davies combining well, with the latter crossing and Kerry putting wide. Gauntlett then picked up a yellow card for a foul and the resulting free-kick was headed straight at Murphy in what was starting to become an end to end match.

Town hit back with Skipper heading goalwards and drawing a good save from the keeper and on the hour mark the hosts took the lead. After good build-up play to get in the opposition area, Skipper had a shot blocked and Davies reacted quickly to smash home the rebound from close range, his second goal in four matches.

This did nothing to steady the Town players' nerves as within five minutes the away side had two good chances to equalise, but both were put wide from inside the box.

Hempnall then had yet another corner which was headed over, before Davies crossed for Kerry to leap high but also head over.

In the 89th minute it was finally all over. A good ball from the left hand side from Broom was aimed at Kerry and with defenders around him and an advancing keeper he somehow beat them all, and as the balled rolled towards the goal, he outpaced the recovering defender and hammered the ball into an empty net from a yard out. The crowd and dugout were delirious, celebrating Kerry's seventh goal of the season as if it were their own cup final.

Town finished the game strongly as Hempnall tired and almost scored again when Joy shot narrowly wide.