No Norfolk Senior Cup shock for Sheringham as visitors win 7-1

Norwich United were too strong for Sheringham in the Norfolk Senior Cup. Picture: DENISE BRADLEY

Norwich United were too strong for Sheringham in the Norfolk Senior Cup. Picture: DENISE BRADLEY - Credit: Copyright: Archant 2016

Sheringham failed to bridge the gap to a side who play three steps higher in the league pyramid as they bowed out of the Norfolk Senior Cup on Tuesday evening.

Norwich United from Bostik League North avoided a potential banana skin at a rainy and windswept Weybourne Road as they came from behind to eventually win 7-1 against a spirited home side.

Sheringham started with the strong wind at their backs and they took the lead after just 10 minutes when Billy Johnson failed to hold a low skidding shot from Ben Boyce and Chris Fuller was on hand to shoot home.

The Planters were behind for only 12 minutes however as a long ball forward found Liam Jackson who put Tim Henery in down the right and his cutback found Adam Hipperson who netted at the far post.

The Planters could have gone in at half-time in front but one move saw the ball twice rebound off the Shannocks' crossbar.

Six minutes after the interval the deadlock was broken with Henery sliding in Jackson who fired under the keeper from an acute angle on the right.

Thomas Dade doubled the lead with a shot from 25 yards that flew in off the far post in the 57th minute, to notch his first goal for the club.

Most Read

Two minutes later and things went from bad to worse for the Shannocks when Boyce was shown a straight red by referee Richard Owen.

The Planters then took full advantage of the man advantage when in the 66th minute Hipperson scored his second direct from a free kick just outside the area.

In the 72nd minute former North Walsham striker Jackson scored his second of the night, poking home from close range after the hosts failed to clear a corner.

Nine minutes from time substitute Sonny Carey's shot was touched home by Sam Watts and the Planters completed the scoring two minutes later when Nathan Stewart fired home from 20 yards.

Sheringham: Cruickshank, Hislop, Sands (Belton 77), Halliday, Cox, Balls (R Davies 61), Nelson, Boyce, Fuller, Cary (A Davies 74), Crane. Unused subs: Bamford, Price.

Norwich United: Johnson, Probert, Dade, Applegate (Crosby 67), Wones, Watts, T Henery (Mokake 72), Jones, Stewart, Jackson, Hipperson (Carey 71). Unused sub: Cooper.

Referee: Richard Owen. Assistants: David Lewiss & Adrian George.

The Shannocks return to Anglian Combination Division One action on Saturday when they travel to Scole.