More expected of Angels after defeat

Beccles Town 2, North Walsham Town 1

NORTH Walsham Town again suffered a fruitless trip.

Work commitments and unavailability again forced changes. With Abbs, Deledicq and Patterson absent starts were handed to Sage, Miller and Davies. With Davison getting some match fitness with the Reserves, Broom joined Dunlop and Chase on the bench.

The Angels made the perfect start as they took the lead in the opening minute. A move down the right involving Miller, Reynolds and Cini led to the ball falling to Ant Davies on the edge of the box. Davies showed his abilities as he controlled before unleashing a devilish volley from 20 yards into the top corner.

As the game settled down it was evident that the home side's attacking threat would be a major concern, and Remblance went close to equalising on 10 minutes when his bullet shot rocked the woodwork. Beccles eventually equalised through Remblance when he latched onto a loose ball following a Jessup save to ram the ball home.

On the half-hour Town fell behind following some slack defending. A free-kick was conceded and two players were left unmarked, one of whom was Martin who nodded into the bottom corner despite the best efforts of Jessup.

Most Read

In a first half that had everything, the Angels came mighty close to equalising on 39 minutes when Miller found space in the box but saw his effort crash against the underside of the bar and away to safety.

The half-time team talk asked for more unity, energy and desire to be shown, and a need for the side to carry out their strategic instructions was stressed.

Walsham certainly improved their efforts in the second period and began positively. They were asking questions of the home defence whilst Jessup's duties in the Town goal consisted mainly of sending free-kicks deep into the Beccles half.

On 55 minutes Sage saw a shot that was destined for the bottom corner stopped by a valiant block from McMorran. Soon after Town made their first change with Broom replacing Cini.

He immediately had some joy against his opponent but fired wide when well positioned.

Dunlop then replaced Sage as the Angels adopted a more attacking formation. However, Walsham lacked the subtlety and quality to break down a dogged defence.

This was arguably a game where the management might have anticipated gaining points, so to lose after such a good start was annoying. The side certainly did not perform up to expectations and must quickly respond with more promising performances and results.

Next up is a trip to league champions Blofield United, followed by a home floodlit fixture against Spixworth on November 16.

Walsham Reserves seem to have turned the corner from their disappointing start and gained a point from their derby with Cromer Reserves. Steve Lawrence put the Angels ahead but they had to settle for a share of the spoils.

The A team returned from Aldborough Lions with a point as well following an eight-goal thriller, although the afternoon was marred by an injury to goalkeeper/manager Highe.

The Sunday responded to last week's horror show at Norman Wanderers with a much-improved display and secured a convincing 5-2 success at home to Hainford YCOB.