Morale high after Holt’s comfortable win

RUGBY: On the back of a convincing win over Thurston last weekend, Holt travel into Essex to play Harwich & Dovercourt next.

Harwich are mid-way in the table and have a respectable home record, although Holt did win the first meeting at home 15-8, against useful opponents.

They will do well to come away with the points, but after three wins on the trot, morale is running high, which will help them.

Holt 58, Thurston 8

Thurston were the visitors to High Kelling at the weekend, bringing with them not a very good record, with only one win so far this season.

Holt had won the first encounter there comfortably 29-10 and would be looking to complete the double in a convincing manner.

Most Read

Holt had also earned two bonus points in their last two games by scoring four tries or more and were hungry for more.

The day was cold and dry, with the pitch in good condition, lending itself to an open game, which Holt enjoy.

The game started with the hosts in rampant mood and after two minutes Rumsby crossed for a try, which Allen converted to give his side a 7-0 lead.

Holt were dominating the early exchanges and three minutes later executed one of their lethal driving mauls for Hill to make the score, increasing the lead to 12-0.

Following this, Thurston began to make their presence felt and made inroads into Holt's half and after a quarter of an hour were rewarded with an unconverted try, to reduce the arrears to 12-5.

Holt still had to contend with their visitors playing in their half, but had no difficulty in containing them. Eventually the deadlock was broken with Holt sweeping downfield again for Wright to finish off another driving maul by scoring an unconverted try, increasing the lead to 17-5 after 25 minutes.

This inspired the visitors to visit the Holt half again, but to no avail and also missing a penalty attempt at goal.

The half ended with no further scoring at 17-5, although the hosts were on the attack at the end, but could not achieve the bonus point before half-time.

Holt felt the game was there for the taking and this began to be proved when after a minute, Graham Ilsley scored from another maul to increase the score to 22-5 and a bonus point as well.

Holt were now well and truly calling the tune and tries began to come at regular intervals, with Such and Jarry-Ryan adding their names to the scoresheet with two unconverted ones in the next few minutes, increasing the score to 32-5.

Thurston were striving to make an impression on the game, but were up against a determined side who were throwing the ball about well and it was of no surprise when Mears scored after 21 minutes and then Ilsley scored his second try two minutes later.

Both were converted by Young, giving Holt a very comfortable 46-5 lead.

At this stage of the game Thurston became a player short through injury, so were destined to complete the game with 14 men, not helping their already hopeless cause.

Loane, who had come on a scrum-half replacement for Girling, added his name to the try scorers with ten minutes remaining and with Young converting, the scoreline read 53-5.

Holt were still not finished, when Robson finally scored a try three minutes later, which was unconverted, making the score 58-5.

Thurston then had a final say in the proceedings and made a rare excursion into Holt's half for the dying moments of the match and were rewarded with a penalty, which was kicked to make the final score 58-8 to the hosts.

Holt earned another five points from this win and this puts them into fourth place in the table over Southwold, who won, but without a bonus point.