Mixed luck for Walsham hockey teams

North Walsham Ladies 0, Carlton Park 3NORTH Walsham Ladies lost to newly-promoted Carlton Park, although the scoreline did not accurately reflect the competitiveness of the game.

North Walsham Ladies 0, Carlton Park 3

NORTH Walsham Ladies lost to newly-promoted Carlton Park, although the scoreline did not accurately reflect the competitiveness of the game.

North Walsham began with strong attacking play and, despite being two regular team members down, were dominant and showed form resembling that of last season.

They put Carlton Park under intense pressure without reply, but were unable to make it count with no decisive shots on target to challenge their keeper.

Just before the end of the first half, Carlton won a few short corners, one of which was cleverly converted from close range at the left-hand post.

The second half continued in the same way but play became more open with both attacks and defences stretched across the field.

Most Read

An injury to a Carlton Park defender 10 minutes from the end, with the score line still 1-0, caused Walsham to lose concentration which led to two short corners and two goals right at the death. Walsham attacked strongly but lacked confidence in front of goal.

Team: Marie Meale, Julie Mercer, Min Tallowin, Nicky Pye, Ellen Vanlint, Sue Gardiner, Sarah Powell, Lou Catling, Jane Delph, Lucy Spencer, Charlotte Else, Shauna McDougall, Bobby Pye.

Harlston Magpies IV 2, North Walsham II 3

NORTH Walsham started the brighter and scored first.

A short corner ran out to David Duncombe who played the ball back to Brenden Clements whose shot was scuffed. Tom Whitwood was alert to slam home the ball to the far post.

Ben Humphreys could have doubled Walsham's lead but the defender put the ball over.

Harleston began to build and their pressure began to tell. The Walsham defence absorbed it well but Harleston broke through and scored past goalkeeper Dale Bartram.

Buoyed on by their goal, Magpies kept pushing but Andrew Tuddenham, Geoff Spencer, Alec Toll and Chris Balding kept them at bay.

The second half started in the same way as the first had finished and Harleston again found a way through and went 2-1 up shortly after the break.

However with the wind behind them, Walsham's aerial threat became apparent as Geoff Spencer peppered the Harleston left

where Sam Else was proving a constant threat.

It fell to the captain Richard Westto bring Walsham level. North Walsham, on the attack, were given a free hit on the edge of the circle.

With the Harleston players believing a short corner had been given, Richard West saw his chance and took a quick self-hit which he ran into the area and drilled past a shocked keeper.

Then it was Walsham who began to exert some pressure and a third goal came. A short-corner routine was laid back to Tom Whitwood, who again proved deadly from short range.

Harlston responded and pushed for an equaliser but the Walsham defence and keeper proved they had both the skill and luck to see off the team that had beaten them twice last season.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter