Lauren takes centre stage at North Walsham school’s awards night
- Credit: Archant
North Walsham's young sports stars have been recognised at a ceremony at the town's Atrium, as North Walsham High School's annual sports presentation evening acknowledged the school's high achievers of 2015.
England U16s star Lauren Hemp topped the awards, carrying off the prestigious Graeme Wilton Award for Sporting Excellence, as well as the first ever International Award, reflecting her achievements as a member of the national football squad.
Lauren has represented the school at every single sport it offers, winning the Norfolk Schools cross country, representing North Norfolk at athletics in multiple events, being a key member of the County Cup-winning girls' football team and the indoor girls cricket team which won the county tournament and represented Norfolk at the East of England tournament.
Outside of school she has represented Norfolk at cricket from U13s level right through to the full ladies side, and was also the only female selected for the Elite Player Programme.
In football, Lauren was part of the Norwich City Centre of Excellence, and has represented England at U15s and U16s level in matches against Holland and Germany.
The annual sports personality award – given to the outstanding sports contributor in the year group which left in the summer – went jointly to Liam Clarke and Chloe Yarham. Meanwhile, Amy Hewitt received a Service to PE Award, with Nathan Allen and Victoria Earp both receiving Outstanding Endeavour Awards.
As well as recognising those who had done well at school level, the ceremony also saw awards given to individuals and teams who had competed at county and area level.
- 1 Norfolk-born entrepreneur is second richest person in country
- 2 The north Norfolk roads closing for the Queen's Jubilee
- 3 Anne Boleyn's execution commemorated at Blickling
- 4 Cafe and shop along Norfolk Broads up for sale with 'rare opportunity'
- 5 Revamped 'hidden gem' restaurant hoping to put village on map for food
- 6 Morgan the model moggie raises £1,000s for other animals
- 7 'Amazing' display of cascading poppies now on display in Cromer
- 8 Restaurant apologises after boy hospitalised with allergic reaction
- 9 Landlord appeals against fine for 'excess cold and electrical hazards'
- 10 Interactive and immersive dinosaur attraction opening in Norfolk this month
Guest speaker was Paralympian and Sky Sports Living for Sport mentor Fran Williamson.
School Head of PE Paul Bradshaw commented: 'Sport is a particular strength at North Walsham High School, and our annual awards are a chance to recognise publicly those who have really achieved great things over the past 12 months.
'As well as those who have reached the very highest level, there were many students receiving awards, reflecting the breadth of participation in sport at all levels across the school – something that was recognised in October when we were awarded a Silver School Games Mark.
'Sport can play such an important role for young people, not just in encouraging physical fitness and healthy living, but also in fostering a sense of teamwork, challenge and achievement which will benefit them way beyond the sports field and into their future lives.'