It’s now a year without an away win for North Walsham


rugby - Credit: Archant

Ruislip 35 Nth Walsham 17

North Walsham under-achieved once more away from home, going down by five tries to two to the disquiet of the travelling support.

You now have to go back to same weekend a year ago (November 23 versus Woodford) for the Vikings' previous victory on their travels.

Despite more changes to the squad and people playing out of position, the young Walsham pack was well in control for all but a seven-minute patch in the second half. However, their efforts were badly served by lamentable defensive tackling and as a result Walsham were 14 points behind after nine minutes, following two converted tries from the Ruislip backs. Walsham then rallied as a line-out take by Tom Coller was driven over for Dom Roberts to touch down and Henry Dewing converted from the left touchline.

The front row players, including Chalk Hill Brewery man of the match Tim Weber, were going well on the soft ground, and Mat Oakes was throwing in to a steady line-out, before Ryan Oakes was taken out on the Ruislip line as he was about to touch down the loose ball. Home wing Michael Reid went to the sin bin, and Dewing converted the resulting penalty try.

Jan Sheijde came onto the open side to help keep up pressure, the pack getting over the try line, but the ball was held up. Ruislip hit back with a try from Antonio Trofa, converted by Stuart Pearham, ahead of a yellow card for Walsham centre Rhys Davies-Horne, leaving the score at the break at 21-14.

Dewing kicked a penalty after the restart and Greg Wills made a sound debut from the bench on to the right wing as Walsham continued to push the home pack off the ball. However, often the resulting passes behind the scrum went astray or were kicked straight back to the snappier Ruislip three-quarters.

Most Read

Although coach Nick Greenhall changed to a simpler drift defence at half-time, this still relied on good tackling, which was often lacking.

Home centre Ben Broderick scored next, converted by Pearham, before his wing man went over the line but lost the ball forward. Broderick crossed again just before time, again added to by Pearham, to finish off a frustrating afternoon for the Vikings.