It’s Norwich City next as Cromer FC win Senior Cup replay

Cromer Town 2 Diss Town 1 (aet)

At the fifth attempt the Norfolk Senior Cup quarter-final replay between Cromer Town and Diss Town finally took place. With Cromer's Cabbell Park pitch still having drainage issues the game was moved to the home of Holt United.

The Crabs made two changes from the side that had drawn at Brewers Green Lane with Liam Davies and Karl Horton coming in for Steve Jordan and Simon Durrant respectively.

As they did in the first game Cromer started brightly, immediately looking to put their Thurlow Nunn opponents on the back foot, and Antoni Fawkes and Matthew Eves both mised early chances. However the hosts did take a deserved lead in the 20th minute. Dale Wilton showed some quick feet and skill in the wide area and got into the box before he was brought down, leaving the referee with no choice but to point to the spot. David Harwood stepped up to smash the ball into the back of the net from 12 yards.

It continued to be the Crabs that looked the most threatening. Wilton was again involved, beating two men with ease before playing a one two with Fawkes and then picking out Dave Matthews, but the Cromer striker put his shot over the bar.

Before the break the South Norfolk side had their first meaningful attack when a pass back was slightly under it, allowing Peter Lambert to nip in. But he was slowed down by keeper Andy Jackson and the defending job was completed by Davies.

Early in the second half Cromer got themselves into another good position after an excellent run from Eves who then cut inside and played the ball to Matthews. He was also reluctant to shot and looked for a team mate but the opportunity was gone.

Most Read

The game entered the final quarter and up to this point it had been mainly all Cromer. However Diss looked to try and make their own mark on the game and in the 78th minute they did grab an equaliser. Lambert made his way to the by line and pulled the ball back across goal where Matthew Dixon had a simple finish.

In the 85th minute the Crabs nearly profited from a poor corner when the ball bobbled its way into the box, Harwood got a slight touch in the direction of Wilon who then turned and hit first time, only to see his effort cleared off the line.

Both sides then had one more chance a piece to try and grab a late winner but Wilton saw his curling effort saved and the usually clinical Dixon scuffed wide in a one-on-one position.

So as in the first match it went into extra-time. It was now going to come down to one mistake or one moment of brilliance if the game wasn't going to go to penalty kicks.

Halfway through the first extra period Wilton made a good forward run before forcing a good save from Webster.

The second half saw slightly more action. Harwood made a superb diving block on the edge of his own box to keep out a well driven strike.

Then the winning goal came with 10 minutes remaining. The ball was played forward and seemed comfortable for the Diss defence but whilst under pressure from Durrant, Aaron Taylor didn't get sufficient contact on his header back to Webster. This allowed Durrant to nick the ball and try and guide it towards goal. His efforts were thwarted by Webster but the ball then ran out into the path of Liam Landamore who still had plenty to do, but the Crabs midfielder showed great composure and technique to lift the ball over the group of players and into the empty net from 25 yards.

This prompted mass celebrations from the Cromer players, dugout and supporters. The Crabs saw out the remaining minutes with ease and had finally picked up that deserved victory and a place in the last four of the Norfolk Senior Cup and a home tie against Norwich City Under 21's.

Huge credit has to go to the Cromer players who showed superb commitment and effort in both games versus their higher league opponents and were the better, more determined side throughout the tie.

The match was sponsored by The White Horse, Cromer. A massive thank you has to go to Holt United for allowing the use of their facilities and you can only praise the superb playing surface.

Cromer: Jackson, Harwood, Applegate, Cameron, L Davies, Landamore, Wilton, Horton, Matthews (Durrant), Fawkes, Eves (C Terrington). Subs Not Used: Davison, Cullington, Anselin.

On Saturday the reserves are at home to Freethorpe. Due to the ongoing drainage issues at Cabbell Park the venue has been switched to Cromer Academy on the school pitch. This game will be a 2pm kick off.