Improved Cromer have to settle for a point


- Credit: Archant

Cromer Town 0 Kirkley & Pakefield Res 0

Cromer welcomed Kirkley and Pakefield's second string to Cabbell Park as they went in search of a much-needed win.

The first half saw both sides cancel each other out, with the hosts able to muster no more than a couple of half chances.

The second half saw more goalmouth action and it was the home side that were dominant. The head of Ben Graver met a corner into the box but he glanced his header wide.

Then Sean Sandell found himself through on goal.

The defender got back but the ball then broke to Sam Grady whose shot was straight at Elliott Reynolds in the Kirkley goal.

Cromer continued to press. Graver's free-kick on the edge of the box seemed to strike an arm in the wall but no penalty was given. Connor Kerry was then played through but Reynolds again saved.

Most Read

An excellent run from Sandell ended with him pulling the ball back for strike partner Kerry but he blasted over from close range. Then some good play between Sandell, Kerry and Lewis Smith ended with the latter getting an effort at goal but this went over.

The final opportunity of the game came in the 83rd minute when again Sandell set up Kerry but once again Reynolds was up to the task.

The game ended goalless and Cromer will be disappointed not to have taken all three points. However they can take positivse from their performance as it was considerably better than those seen in recent weeks.

Cromer: Broughton, Grady, Willimott, Graver, Johnson, Faustin (Hurrell), Smith (Moon), Horton, Kerry, Sandell, Eves.

In their previous game the Crabs were beaten 3-1 at home by Mattishall.

The Cromer squad included new signing Jack Hurrell from Norwich CEYMS.

The visitors took the lead after 13 minutes. A long ball forward dropped kindly to Xavier Huckle after a miscommunication in the Crabs defence and Huckle then finished first time.

Early in the second half Mattishall made it 2-0 when a ball forward again resulted in some poor defending as both Broughton and Faustin failed to deal with it and Luke Dagg finished well.

The home side finally got the goal their play deserved when Graver's free-kick from deep curled straight into the goal of the woodwork.

But just four minutes later Mattishall regained their two-goal advantage when AJ Johnson's header went straight to Huckle and he finished smartly into the bottom corner from the edge of the box.

There would be one last attack for the hosts with Hurrell seeing his shot blocked and George Pledger saving the rebound effort from Sam Grady.

Cromer: Broughton, Faustin (Horton), Grady, Warnes, Johnson, Halliday (Aspen), Smith, Graver, Terrington (Hurrell), Sandell, Eves.

The Reserves progressed into the third round of the Norfolk Junior Cup with a penalty shoot-out victory away to Division Three side Fakenham Town Reserves.

Michael Warnes grabbed a brace as the game ended 2-2 after extra-time before the Crabs won 3-2 on penalties.

The Ladies suffered a 6-1 defeat away at Harleston. Kyra Cole grabbing the goal.

This weekend the first team make the trip to Harleston Town (2.30pm) whilst the Reserves host Redgrave Rangers in the CS Morley Cup (2pm).