Holt rugby defeat
Holt 7, Wymondham 8
HOLT entertained Wymondham in the last of the early-season friendlies before the start of the league programme next week and would be looking to improve upon the previous week's result against West Norfolk.
Wymondham play in the league above Holt, so would provide tough opposition.
The weather was settled and the pitch firm and the ingredients were there for a fast flowing game. Wymondham showed their ability from an early stage and on two occasions should have scored, but to Holt's relief both chances were squandered. The home team were also finding it difficult to make ground out of their own half and with the visitors putting Holt under pressure; it came of no surprise when they scored from a driving maul to gain a five point lead as the conversion failed.
There came a lengthy hold-up due to a neck injury to a Wymondham player and from the re-start no further scoring came in the half.
Holt had done well to keep the score line to 0-5 and began the second half in a positive frame of mind by taking the game to their opponents with most of the action in their end of the pitch.
Holt's pressure eventually paid off when Robson scored a well taken try in the corner and with Allen making an excellent conversion, the lead had been gained at 7-5. Holt had to weather some determined play by Wymondham in defence of their narrow lead, in fact it began to look as though the home side would clinch the win.
- 1 The north Norfolk roads closing for the Queen's Jubilee
- 2 Norfolk-born entrepreneur is second richest person in country
- 3 Anne Boleyn's execution commemorated at Blickling
- 4 Landlord appeals against fine for 'excess cold and electrical hazards'
- 5 Cafe and shop along Norfolk Broads up for sale with 'rare opportunity'
- 6 North Walsham 'Live Aid' legend calls it a day after 17 years
- 7 'Long-awaited in the area' - New Norfolk deli celebrates local produce
- 8 Revamped 'hidden gem' restaurant hoping to put village on map for food
- 9 Restaurant apologises after boy hospitalised with allergic reaction
- 10 Morgan the model moggie raises £1,000s for other animals
Unfortunately the fates decreed otherwise, when after having been awarded a penalty, which would have cleared their lines, a rash piece of ill discipline by a Holt player caused the penalty to be reversed and for Wymondham to kick the goal to regain the lead and to win the match 7-8.
A disappointing finish to an entertaining match and where Holt had not been overawed by their opponents league status and had shown some positive moments of play, in order to prepare themselves for the visit to Stowmarket next Saturday in the first league match of the season.
Last season, Holt found on their visits to Suffolk, their hosts to be quite an accomplished side, who narrowly missed out on promotion by losing their play-off match at the end of the season.
Holt have won there in the past and at this early stage of the season no predictions can really be made.