Holt reach rugby cup final
Swaffham 15, Holt 23Holt produced a strong finish to set up a home Norfolk Junior Cup final showdown against the UEA. Swaffham opened the scoring early on with a converted try but Holt eventually broke out and were rewarded with an converted try from captain Van Poortvliet.
Swaffham 15, Holt 23
Holt produced a strong finish to set up a home Norfolk Junior Cup final showdown against the UEA. Swaffham opened the scoring early on with a converted try but Holt eventually broke out and were rewarded with an converted try from captain Van Poortvliet.
This reverse did not deter the home side and they extended their lead to 10-5 at the break with a penalty. Holt knew they would have to improve in the second half and were rewarded after eight minutes when, following a driving maul, Wright made the touch down for Derbyshire to add the points to give Holt the lead. Swaffham were by no means deterred and scored a converted try six minutes later to move back in front at 15-12. They then decided to run a kickable penalty but the visitors' defence held firm and when Holt were awarded a penalty just into their opponents' half Derbyshire made no mistake to level the scores at 15-15 with 12 minutes remaining.
Holt went in front with another Derbyshire penalty. They kept up the pressure and were rewarded with a late try when Girling pounced on a Swaffham mistake following a scrum close to their line and passed to Wright to score his second try of the match.
You may also want to watch:
Holt qualified to host the final - hopefully on Wednesday, April 1 at 5.45pm - against a hard- running side of students who had already put Fakenham to the sword in the other semi.
- 1 Social distancing stops fish and chip shop's restaurant opening on May 17
- 2 WATCH: Demolition of landmark seaside hotel
- 3 Shock as public toilets torched FOUR times
- 4 Historic farmhouse in six acres with holiday barn for sale for £1.65m
- 5 Hare coursers snared by police officers using night vision goggles
- 6 Woman bit female police officer after neighbour dispute arrest
- 7 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 8 Six North Norfolk beaches awarded blue flag status for summer 2021
- 9 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 10 Cafe reveals exciting revamp as town gets ready to reopen