Holt get lesson in rugby basics
Holt 0, North Walsham Raiders 29Holt were hoping to improve on the scoreline from last season's encounter. The weather had improved and the pitch was playable.
Holt 0, North Walsham Raiders 29
Holt were hoping to improve on the scoreline from last season's encounter. The weather had improved and the pitch was playable.
Holt played with the wind in the first half and to their cost presented the visitors with an early try when a clearance kick went to the Raiders' left wing, who sped in for a try. The conversion missed, but Holt were 5-0 in arrears after only four minutes.
The Raiders showed their ability in the speed of their game and had Holt under severe pressure for the first quarter. Holt stuck manfully to their guns in repelling the onslaught and eventually did visit the other half, but were unable to make any impression.
When after 38 minutes one such attack floundered, The Raiders lived up to their name and swept downfield to score another try (unconverted).
The first half ended on a very unsavoury note when most of the players from both sides became involved in a fracas, which resulted in one player from either side being yellow carded.
- 1 Theatre director's planning bid branded 'an attempt to rewrite history'
- 2 Light it up! Hundreds flock to Cromer Christmas festival
- 3 New 'boutique hotel' for hedgehogs opens in north Norfolk
- 4 Delving into north Norfolk's rich railway history with the U3A
- 5 'I'd throw a massive street party' - Q&A with Tracey Ringwood
- 6 German filmmaker's 'love letter to Britain' features famous Norfolk show
- 7 Village sub postmistress hangs up her date stamp after 24 years
- 8 Fury at bikers' who rode over dead seal pup
- 9 Bid to build 70-bed care home and 24 affordable houses
- 10 Your say: How would you improve Holt?
Second half The Raiders were quickly on to the attack, scoring two tries in the first seven minutes, and with both being converted, Holt were facing a 24-0 deficit.
They stuck manfully to the task and were making inroads into their opponents' half with excellent work from the forwards, but again it was the same old story of not finishing and the opposition were able to keep their line intact and after 20 minutes swept up the field to score their final try (unconverted).
Holt still took the game to their opponents and on a couple of occasions were close to scoring. At the finish Holt could congratulate themselves on containing a very competent looking side, hopefully having learned the basic art of running and passing as demonstrated by The Raiders.
Credit to both sides for concentrating on playing rugby for the duration of the second half.