Holt complete league rugby double
Holt 28, Ely 0HOLT, in a confident mood, completed the league double.Holt made the early running and Mears put them in front after nine minutes with a penalty, via a post.
Holt 28, Ely 0
HOLT, in a confident mood, completed the league double.
Holt made the early running and Mears put them in front after nine minutes with a penalty, via a post.
Holt were playing good running rugby and after 20 minutes Watson scored his first try for the club, following a good blind-side move, to increase the lead to 8-0.
You may also want to watch:
Six minutes later Brown made a good run down the touch-line to add another try for 13-0. Both conversion attempts were off target, but Holt were dominant in most phases of the game.
Following more good inter-passing, Rumsby added his name to the try scorers with another unconverted one for 18-0 to the home side at the break.
- 1 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast
- 2 Popular restaurant to reopen after staffing issues
- 3 Ex-landlord, 95, pulls pint in his old pub after 32 years
- 4 House next to 384-year-old shop on market for £700k
- 5 Tax in post: Only Fools and Horses van racks up fines
- 6 What next for town, a year after supermarket inferno?
- 7 Teenage boy found a week after being reported missing
- 8 Norfolk to get a 250-mile art trail - funded by European cash
- 9 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 10 McDonald's hiring in Norfolk and plans new restaurants
Ten minutes into the second half acting captain Woods intercepted a pass at least 30 yards from the Ely goal line, to power through for another unconverted try.
The lead was extended 10 minutes later when Watson scored his second try of the match. This again was not converted, but the lead stood at a healthy 28-0.
Holt could not add to their lead and became somewhat ill-disciplined in giving away a number penalties and with six minutes remaining Holt were reduced to 14 men for the rest of the game.
This period produced some attacking rugby from Ely and although they were close to the Holt goal line, were unable to penetrate a solid defence.
This double over Ely keeps them in equal third place with Woodbridge and the next league encounter is in a fortnight away to second-placed Stowmarket.
On Saturday Holt take up their defence of The Woodforde's Norfolk Junior Cup away to Broadland aiming for a semi-final at Swaffham.