Holt CC’s poor run of form continues
Holt suffered another heavy defeat in their latest Norfolk League encounter at home to Garboldisham B, losing by six wickets after being bowled out for 110.
After being put in to bat Holt's openers Chapman and Thaxter were looking to get their off to a good start but with 17 on the board they lost captain Chapman (9), who was caught at slip by Thorne off Carr.
Collyer then joined Thaxter and they put on 14 runs together before Collyer (6) was trapped lbw by Carr (2-10).
L Bragg was next in, but a few overs later, he was bowled by Southgate for one. Thaxter and Bayley then put on a 24 run partnership for Holt, with Bayley showing attacking intent, before he was caught at gully by A Freake off Southgate (2-14) for nine.
It was 60-5 when P Buttle was bowled by Feavearyear (1-26). Thaxter was fighting hard for Holt, but needed support from the other end, and that was provided by J Rutterford. They showed some resistance as they put 26 runs together before Rutterford (13) was bowled by P Barnes.
G Edge was also bowled by Barnes not long after before Thaxter and Mears put 13 runs together, before Thaxter's hard fought knock for Holt was brought to an end by P Barnes (3-20) for 35.
Mears (7) and Guthrie were dismissed soon after by Thorne (2-12) to bring Holt's innings to an end, bowling them out for 110.
- 1 New book reveals how Albert Einstein's stay in Norfolk may have saved his life
- 2 Trains cancelled after lorry crashes into bridge
- 3 Plans submitted to transform soft play area to restaurant
- 4 'We were braced for cancellations' - Hotel bosses on emergence of Omicron
- 5 The village in the path of controversial wind farm cable
- 6 Theatre director's planning bid branded 'an attempt to rewrite history'
- 7 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 8 Christmas market draws hundreds to high street
- 9 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 10 Norfolk still has just one identified Omicron Covid case
After the interval, Holt's opening bowlers Thaxter and L Bragg were after early wickets. Garboldisham's openers Pearson and A Freake got them off to a solid start, putting on 36 runs together inside eight overs, before Bragg (1-23) bowled Pearson (16).
Thaxter then got himself into the wickets column when he had Freake (18) caught at slip by Chapman. Garboldisham were 48-3 when Whistler was caught by J Rutterford off Thaxter (2-24) and Mears (1-17) got Olpin (13) caught and bowled, making the score 65-4.
Holt needed to keep attacking and continue to take wickets, but it wasn't to be as Cullins (35 not out) and R Freake (8 not out) dug in well for Garboldisham and saw them home in the 28th over, with an unbeaten 46 run partnership to win by six wickets.
It was another bad day for Holt, whose only highlights were the performances of Thaxter, Bragg and Rutterford. Holt remain bottom of the table and face Drayton away next.