Holt beat jinx side after early try scare
Fakenham 7, Holt 23Holt completed the double over their hosts and laid the jinx which appears when they play them to rest.Holt looked in a positive mood from the kick-off but after only two minutes gifted their hosts an interception try when their centre latched onto a dreadful pass and ran 50 yards to score under the posts, the conversion a formality.
Fakenham 7, Holt 23
Holt completed the double over their hosts and laid the jinx which appears when they play them to rest.
Holt looked in a positive mood from the kick-off but after only two minutes gifted their hosts an interception try when their centre latched onto a dreadful pass and ran 50 yards to score under the posts, the conversion a formality.
The game for the next ten minutes or so see-sawed with both sides probing at each other's defences.
You may also want to watch:
But Holt, getting back onto the attack, were awarded a penalty after 15 minutes which Allen converted to narrow the gap to 7-3.
Holt were beginning to take the game to their opponents and ten minutes later Allen converted another penalty to bring the deficit down to one point at 7-6.
- 1 Social distancing stops fish and chip shop's restaurant opening on May 17
- 2 WATCH: Demolition of landmark seaside hotel
- 3 Historic farmhouse in six acres with holiday barn for sale for £1.65m
- 4 Six North Norfolk beaches awarded blue flag status for summer 2021
- 5 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 6 Hare coursers snared by police officers using night vision goggles
- 7 Woman bit female police officer after neighbour dispute arrest
- 8 7 cheap or free things to do in Norfolk this weekend
- 9 UEA scientist warns against surge vaccination to combat Indian variant
- 10 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
Holt were executing some very good driving mauls, putting the home side under pressure and following one such move which took them close to the Fakenham goal line, Child scored one of his typical tries from the base of an ensuing scrum.
With Allen converting, his side were now in the lead by 13-7 with six minutes of the half remaining.
Although Fakenham got back into the Holt half, they missed a kick at goal.
Second half Holt were rewarded after five minutes when the Fakenham full-back was penalised.
The penalty was taken quickly and Robson finished off the move to score an unconverted try to extend the lead to 18-7.
The game for the next half an hour became somewhat gridlocked between the 22s of both sides and although Holt were not under any real pressure, they could not make the breakthrough until five minutes remained.
They made good use of their possession for Robson to speed down his wing to score another unconverted try.
On Saturday, Holt are at home to Crusaders in a return league match.
They won the first meeting 9-5 in a tight encounter.
Holt are one place above Crusaders in fourth, thanks to the win at Fakenham, but they can expect a close match.
Holt's third XV recorded another win in their merit table with a close victory over West Norfolk 14-12 and keeping themselves away from the bottom of the table.