Hockey team aims for top
Dereham IV 2, North Walsham 3NORTH Walsham entered this game with the aim of returning to the top of the table over Christmas.With a number of players missing they met a formidable Dereham side and this was reflected in a number of early chances for Dereham who got a short corner in the first five minutes, followed by a close miss from a poor Walsham 16.
Dereham IV 2, North Walsham 3
NORTH Walsham entered this game with the aim of returning to the top of the table over Christmas.
With a number of players missing they met a formidable Dereham side and this was reflected in a number of early chances for Dereham who got a short corner in the first five minutes, followed by a close miss from a poor Walsham 16.
Walsham soon got into their stride and Ashley Green beat the keeper before missing an open goal.
You may also want to watch:
The deadlock was broken right at the end of the first half with a goal from Tom Cox. After half-time Walsham played some nice passing hockey but Dereham equalised within minutes of the second half beginning. The next 10 minutes was a period of good pressure from Dereham but good defence by Buck, Dale and Younger kept Dereham at bay. A poor Dereham clearance gave Walsham gave a chance for Richard Nickerson to slap a goal in.
A run from Cox saw him lift a shot over the bar but minutes later Nickerson added a second, set up by Green. Pete Gardner crossed a ball into the D to see it deflected into the goal by a Dereham player, the cross was ruled out of the D by the umpire.
- 1 How many of these 127 Great Taste Award-winning products have you tried?
- 2 Aldi to open 100 new stores with eyes on towns in Norfolk
- 3 'Very disappointing' - Vandals smash and burn toilets
- 4 Carers getting up at 1am and riding bikes to clients amid fuel queues
- 5 Norfolk baker launches UK’s first gluten-free raw cookie dough
- 6 Covid to blame as sports centres finally reopen
- 7 Flowers left by road in tribute after man's death
- 8 Towns and villages across Norfolk to get a Covid memorial plaque
- 9 Heavy rain and gusty winds to hit Norfolk
- 10 All you need to know ahead of PrimEvil 2021
Dereham won a short corner late on, coolly converted.
North Walsham III 2,
North Walsham IV 2
THE excitement of this end-to-end match was appreciated by a good crowd. Man of the match was undoubtedly III's keeper Chris Wildee who was outstanding. At the other end of the pitch 14-year-old Luke Tuthill also made some fine saves on his debut.
This game was about good squad performances and was played in a competitive yet sportsmanlike way.
III were the first to score via James Carswell and he scored again late in the first half. After the break the IVs scored when a fine cross by Dan Cheesman was met by David Duncombe. Late on Brendan Clements levelled the score at 2-2.