Hockey squad shows strength in depth
Old Buckenham 1, North Walsham Ladies 2NORTH Walsham Ladies beat Old Buckenham in a deserved and comprehensive way.North Walsham began the game tentatively, without their captain Ellen Vanlint and many regular first team players lost to injury, including a stand-in keeper.
Old Buckenham 1, North Walsham Ladies 2
NORTH Walsham Ladies beat Old Buckenham in a deserved and comprehensive way.
North Walsham began the game tentatively, without their captain Ellen Vanlint and many regular first team players lost to injury, including a stand-in keeper.
But they soon found their feet when they realised they could outplay the opposition.
The majority of the first half was spent attacking the Old Buckenham's goal, with strong attacking play from all attackers and midfielders, combining well to create many opportunities.
The scoreline was opened by captain on the day, Sue Gardiner, leading from the front with a well-taken short-corner strike. And the second came from close range after superb build-up wing play, scored by Sarah Powell.
- 1 Former coastal restaurant up for auction
- 2 New woodfired pizza restaurant could open in Norfolk town
- 3 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 4 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
- 5 Book shop partners open new branch for second-hand volumes
- 6 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in Norfolk
- 7 See inside 'stylish' barn conversion for sale in north Norfolk
- 8 Norfolk man dressed as Henry VIII launches special Jubilee railway
- 9 Platinum Jubilee: Guide to North Norfolk events
- 10 Neighbourhood plan takes another step forward
Just before half-time Old Buckenham showed that they could challenge and after a quick break gained a short corner which they converted, with a clean strike leaving the Walsham keeper with little chance.
The second half saw Walsham start again from where they left off, with strong attacking play challenging the Old Buckenham defenders but saw opportunity after opportunity disappear as they were unable to clinically finish off the chances, although a strong defence ensured the difficulty remained.
As the half progressed, Old Buckenham gained more confidence and the half ended after tense pressure on the Walsham defence, which held strong.
Special thanks must go to Jenny Marshall for stepping into the keeper's kit at short notice and the second team players who all made significant contributions on the day.
Team: Min Tallowin, Nicky Pye, Sue Gardiner, Sarah Powell, Lucy Spencer, Charlotte Else, Shauna McDougall, Jo Hadley, Jenny Marshall, Jo Todd, Lou Catling.