Gresham’s teams set to go head to head in cup semi-finals
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
In the quarter-finals of the Star Paving Services North Norfolk League's Handicap Doubles Cup, NWSCD's Phil Mole (28), Stuart Hook (27) and Philip Stone (27) hosted Gresham's School A's Colin Humphries (25), Haken Bennell (5) and Robin Thaxter (0). A golden point 51-50 win for Bennell and Thaxter (2) against Hook and Mole (27) put Gresham's 2-0 ahead before NWSCD levelled at 2-2 and again later at 3-3.
Hook and Mole (27) moved NWSCD one win from the semi-final with a 51-45 win against Humphries and Bennell (15) and Hook and Stone (27) were two points away as they led Humphries and Thaxter (12) 49-48 but the Gresham's pair edged through to set up a decisive encounter – the third successive one for NWSCD in this year's Cup.
It pitted Mole and Stone (27) against Bennell and Thaxter (2) and NWSCD made a good start but there was drama about a third of the way through the contest as Mole injured his hamstring – an injury that has forced him to pull out of the league championships.
Mole bravely battled on through the decisive clash but Bennell and Thaxter came through 51-46 to steal a 5-4 win.
In the semi-final Gresham's A will face Gresham's B who gained a walkover against Mundesley B.
You may also want to watch:
In the other half of the draw, Backhanders' Teucer Wilson (25), Paul Warner (10) and Whil De Neve (27) hosted Aylsham Enterprise's Ben Briggs, Ray Gale and Daniel Atkins (the trio all on 26) and came through 5-3. In the semi-finals they will meet NWSCE after the team of Andrew Weston (37), James Lester (29) and Ben Lester (35) converted a 3-0 lead into a 5-2 win away to Barracudas' Chris Marshall (30), Simon Halliday (26) and Keith Register (30).
The first two quarter-finals in the Handicap Singles Cup have also been completed as Crosscourts' Rod Goffin, Jack Bramwell and John Welsh won 7-2 against Mundesley A and Gresham's School A's Thaxter, Bennell and Jonas Lee beat Aylsham Albion 5-1. The visitors were represented by John Hall, Becky Wood and Fletcher Dyson.
- 1 Joy as town's beer and gin festival set to return
- 2 Cafe reveals exciting revamp as town gets ready to reopen
- 3 Shock as public toilets torched FOUR times
- 4 Canal restoration resumes as lockdown winds up
- 5 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 6 WATCH: Demolition of landmark seaside hotel
- 7 Safety review promised as cyclist killed in crash is named
- 8 'Why north Norfolk will bounce back'
- 9 From Bradley Walsh to a charity bed push - hospital's history told in new wall feature
- 10 Lockdown easing to go ahead - but Hancock won't rule out reversal
NWSCA will meet Gresham's A in the final of the Knockout Singles Cup after Tom Baldock-Yaxley, Andy Beane and Howard Lupton won their semi-final away to Sharks 8-2 while in the First Division, Crosscourts' Rod Goffin, Derek Sidaway and John Welsh beat LCC Crabs' Kevin Cardy, Robbie Birtwell and Char Edwards 7-3.