Gresham’s teams set to go head to head in cup semi-finals
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
In the quarter-finals of the Star Paving Services North Norfolk League's Handicap Doubles Cup, NWSCD's Phil Mole (28), Stuart Hook (27) and Philip Stone (27) hosted Gresham's School A's Colin Humphries (25), Haken Bennell (5) and Robin Thaxter (0). A golden point 51-50 win for Bennell and Thaxter (2) against Hook and Mole (27) put Gresham's 2-0 ahead before NWSCD levelled at 2-2 and again later at 3-3.
Hook and Mole (27) moved NWSCD one win from the semi-final with a 51-45 win against Humphries and Bennell (15) and Hook and Stone (27) were two points away as they led Humphries and Thaxter (12) 49-48 but the Gresham's pair edged through to set up a decisive encounter – the third successive one for NWSCD in this year's Cup.
It pitted Mole and Stone (27) against Bennell and Thaxter (2) and NWSCD made a good start but there was drama about a third of the way through the contest as Mole injured his hamstring – an injury that has forced him to pull out of the league championships.
Mole bravely battled on through the decisive clash but Bennell and Thaxter came through 51-46 to steal a 5-4 win.
In the semi-final Gresham's A will face Gresham's B who gained a walkover against Mundesley B.
You may also want to watch:
In the other half of the draw, Backhanders' Teucer Wilson (25), Paul Warner (10) and Whil De Neve (27) hosted Aylsham Enterprise's Ben Briggs, Ray Gale and Daniel Atkins (the trio all on 26) and came through 5-3. In the semi-finals they will meet NWSCE after the team of Andrew Weston (37), James Lester (29) and Ben Lester (35) converted a 3-0 lead into a 5-2 win away to Barracudas' Chris Marshall (30), Simon Halliday (26) and Keith Register (30).
The first two quarter-finals in the Handicap Singles Cup have also been completed as Crosscourts' Rod Goffin, Jack Bramwell and John Welsh won 7-2 against Mundesley A and Gresham's School A's Thaxter, Bennell and Jonas Lee beat Aylsham Albion 5-1. The visitors were represented by John Hall, Becky Wood and Fletcher Dyson.
- 1 The Original Factory Shop to open new site in north Norfolk
- 2 'Power buyers' help pump up north Norfolk housing market to new heights
- 3 Amazing aerial shots show scale of shipwreck
- 4 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 5 Foodbank changes name to reflect increased demand
- 6 Beavers hard at work transforming chalk stream after Norfolk introduction
- 7 See inside this converted Victorian school on sale for £650,000
- 8 Have your say on bid to improve North Walsham town centre
- 9 Locations revealed for Norfolk's new £500k art trail
- 10 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
NWSCA will meet Gresham's A in the final of the Knockout Singles Cup after Tom Baldock-Yaxley, Andy Beane and Howard Lupton won their semi-final away to Sharks 8-2 while in the First Division, Crosscourts' Rod Goffin, Derek Sidaway and John Welsh beat LCC Crabs' Kevin Cardy, Robbie Birtwell and Char Edwards 7-3.