Golden Oldies do North Norfolk Beach Runners proud
- Credit: Archant
With Sunday's Wissey Half Marathon hosting both the Eastern Veterans and British Masters Championships, the cream of both the region's and the country's top veterans turned out in search of trophies.
But despite the stiff competition, North Norfolk Beach Runners still came away with three gold medals and one silver.
Paul Muffett put in another superb performance to finish 18th overall with an amazing time for the 13.1 mile course of 1-19:34 to take the Eastern Veteran Silver and a bronze in the British Masters.
Nathan Risbey and Adam Smart, two comparatively young Beach Runners, were next across the line in 43rd and 74th places respectively. They were followed by the distinctive figure of Jim Hayes who took the Eastern Gold and a British Silver medal with a superb run, clocking 1:37:27.
Derek Sadler went well to record 1:48:06 for 149th spot and Andi Osborne looked to be in fine form as she crossed the line in 1:56:00, just outside the prizes.
Chris Gibbons and Angie Hamilton finished either side of two-hour mark and just inside the top 200.
Brenda Kinch's decision to run the Wissey Half as part of her preparation for the forthcoming York Marathon bore fruit as the Gresham runner picked up gold medals in both championships for the Over 70s with a fine time of 2: 03:44.
- 1 'I'd bring back the carnival raft race' - Q&A with Becky Robinson
- 2 Converted barn to Scandi-style lodge: 5 bungalows for sale in Norfolk
- 3 Eighties music and a puppet called Arthur coming to Cromer Pier
- 4 Dramatic drone pictures show scale of erosion on north Norfolk coast
- 5 Obituary: Farmer and 'backbone' of agricultural organisations dies aged 83
- 6 Pressure waves of Hunga Tonga volcanic eruption felt across East Anglia
- 7 'The time has come' - Landlord of seaside pub retires after 50 years at helm
- 8 'A good fit' - New owners to take over garden centre cafe
- 9 'Tourists must contribute' - North Norfolk car park fee increase backed
- 10 Meet the man behind a morbid new craze
Meanwhile prolific prize-winner Malcolm Ball took two golds in the over-80s category for another excellent run. Also completing the tough course on a windy day around the Oxburgh lanes was Mike Marshall with an excellent time of 2:09:58 which put him just outside the prizes in the 70+ age group.