Golden Oldies do North Norfolk Beach Runners proud
- Credit: Archant
With Sunday's Wissey Half Marathon hosting both the Eastern Veterans and British Masters Championships, the cream of both the region's and the country's top veterans turned out in search of trophies.
But despite the stiff competition, North Norfolk Beach Runners still came away with three gold medals and one silver.
Paul Muffett put in another superb performance to finish 18th overall with an amazing time for the 13.1 mile course of 1-19:34 to take the Eastern Veteran Silver and a bronze in the British Masters.
Nathan Risbey and Adam Smart, two comparatively young Beach Runners, were next across the line in 43rd and 74th places respectively. They were followed by the distinctive figure of Jim Hayes who took the Eastern Gold and a British Silver medal with a superb run, clocking 1:37:27.
Derek Sadler went well to record 1:48:06 for 149th spot and Andi Osborne looked to be in fine form as she crossed the line in 1:56:00, just outside the prizes.
You may also want to watch:
Chris Gibbons and Angie Hamilton finished either side of two-hour mark and just inside the top 200.
Brenda Kinch's decision to run the Wissey Half as part of her preparation for the forthcoming York Marathon bore fruit as the Gresham runner picked up gold medals in both championships for the Over 70s with a fine time of 2: 03:44.
- 1 The Original Factory Shop to open new site in north Norfolk
- 2 'Power buyers' help pump up north Norfolk housing market to new heights
- 3 Amazing aerial shots show scale of shipwreck
- 4 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 5 Foodbank changes name to reflect increased demand
- 6 Beavers hard at work transforming chalk stream after Norfolk introduction
- 7 See inside this converted Victorian school on sale for £650,000
- 8 Have your say on bid to improve North Walsham town centre
- 9 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 10 Locations revealed for Norfolk's new £500k art trail
Meanwhile prolific prize-winner Malcolm Ball took two golds in the over-80s category for another excellent run. Also completing the tough course on a windy day around the Oxburgh lanes was Mike Marshall with an excellent time of 2:09:58 which put him just outside the prizes in the 70+ age group.