Gilmore's happy return
Ely City 2, Wroxham 3Wroxham key player maker Gary Gilmore, who has been out with an ankle injury for several games, was recalled to the side and made all the difference.
Ely City 2, Wroxham 3
Wroxham key player maker Gary Gilmore, who has been out with an ankle injury for several games, was recalled to the side and made all the difference.
He has a rearranged fixture against Walsham-le-Willows on Saturday to be fully match fit for the February 7 Norfolk Senior Cup semi-final at Dereham, writes Roy Webster.
You may also want to watch:
Wroxham mastered the skidpan conditions rather better than their host and went ahead in the 30th minute. It was a vital breakthrough netted by Gavin Lemmon who delivered a 40-yard free kick from the left touchline that came in from the sun like a Battle of Britain Spitfire to completely deceive home keeper Babcock.
Wroxham increased their lead in the 40th minute after Ely had applied considerable pressure around the Yachtsmen's goalmouth, but they cleared their lines. Cook proved the perfect target man and he and Key between them set up Gilmore for a blockbusting left-foot volley from just inside the penalty box.
- 1 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast
- 2 Popular restaurant to reopen after staffing issues
- 3 Ex-landlord, 95, pulls pint in his old pub after 32 years
- 4 House next to 384-year-old shop on market for £700k
- 5 What next for town, a year after supermarket inferno?
- 6 Tax in post: Only Fools and Horses van racks up fines
- 7 Norfolk to get a 250-mile art trail - funded by European cash
- 8 Teenage boy found a week after being reported missing
- 9 McDonald's hiring in Norfolk and plans new restaurants
- 10 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
Wroxham were under pressure from two consecutive corners as the minutes ticked away but cleared their lines from under the crossbar seconds before the half-time whistle. Half-time: Ely City 0, Wroxham 2.
Six minutes after the break Wroxham went three up. White made a great run down the left and won a corner. Cook headed the flag kick on only for Blackman to hand ball and concede a penalty. Andy Key stepped up to convert the spot kick.
Almost immediately Ely pulled a goal back when their long throw specialist Lawrence hurled the ball into the penalty box where Wroxham were adjudged to have handled in a goalmouth melee. Andy Pettit converted the spot kick. Wroxham came back into the attack and twice Cook headed wide.
Ely pulled another goal back through Chadwick on the stroke of time and Wroxham were hanging on to then slender goal lead as stoppage time was played.
Wroxham: Smith, Pauling, Howes, Challen, Carus, Key, Gilmore, Lemmon, Cook, White, Woanes. Subs: Goff, Mcannally, Wines, Self, Latimer.