GB call for teenager
Teenager Becky Gray's progress in the rapidly growing sport of softball has been spectacular.Within three weeks of being spotted by scouts at a pioneering tournament at Fakenham, she was in the GB squad and is now preparing for a trip to Italy next month to play for her country's U16 team.
Teenager Becky Gray's progress in the rapidly growing sport of softball has been spectacular.
Within three weeks of being spotted by scouts at a pioneering tournament at Fakenham, she was in the GB squad and is now preparing for a trip to Italy next month to play for her country's U16 team.
The Aylsham High School
all-rounder has graduated through ballet, gymnastics and kickboxing and has represented Norfolk at cross-country.
You may also want to watch:
And she has just been selected for the Girls' Player Development Centre at Norwich City Football Club.
Softball is an Olympic sport, and that could be the incentive for that to be Becky's main sport focus. Following the Fakenham tournament in June she was invited for trials in Oxford which resulted in a place in the GB squad just three weeks later.
- 1 Joy as town's beer and gin festival set to return
- 2 Cafe reveals exciting revamp as town gets ready to reopen
- 3 Shock as public toilets torched FOUR times
- 4 'Why north Norfolk will bounce back'
- 5 WATCH: Demolition of landmark seaside hotel
- 6 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 7 Safety review promised as cyclist killed in crash is named
- 8 Old railway sign to go under the hammer
- 9 Canal restoration resumes as lockdown winds up
- 10 New Sunday market to feature street food, music and crafters
But costs are involved. Training takes place in Richmond, most of the squad coming from the London area where the sport is really big. And the flight to Italy has to be paid for.
Through her school, Becky has obtained help from the Gifted and Talented Fund, but she is now hoping local businesses and individuals will offer support.
Anyone willing to help should contact Becky's mother, Diane Siggins, on 01692 407783 or on firstname.lastname@example.org