Father and his twin sons play in Raiders friendly

Acky Downing does his best to keep his balance at Scottow on Saturday. Picture: Hywel Jones

Acky Downing does his best to keep his balance at Scottow on Saturday. Picture: Hywel Jones - Credit: Archant

After a demanding league season North Walsham second string entertained new opposition at Scottow in the shape of Old Priorians seconds.

The friendly match was an enjoyable and worthwhile exercise, with the Raiders eventually losing a tight encounter 41-33.

With their first team playing the Vikings in a league game it was not difficult to get OPs to agree to this fixture.

The outcome was an entertaining game, with the Raiders taking a slim lead into half-time, briefly losing it early in the second half and building a decent lead again before the more streetwise opposition took control to deservedly take the win.

With more than the usual numbers available it was decided to give everyone that put their hand up at least 20 minutes by using rolling replacements.

After a settling in period the Raiders took the lead. A neat chip over the defence by Sam Rossi was chased down by Henry Hunt to score and Rossi adding the first of four conversions.

The experienced Chris Kent made a breakaway to send Rossi in for the second try and a 14 point lead.

Most Read

At this point the first of the replacements was made, allowing veteran prop Chris Haynes to fulfil a long held ambition to play rugby with twin sons Archie and Will, slmost certainly a Scottow first.

OPs began to get into the game using their much heavier pack to dominate and two tries in the second quarter, one converted, left the Raiders 14-12 up at the break.

A sloppy start to the second half allowed the visitors to take the lead with an unconverted try but almost immediately Archie Haynes won the ball in midfield and broke through to score and retake the lead.

Despite the changes there was some exciting play from the younger Raiders, three of them combining for Tom Younie to make the touchdown and the conversion, taking the score to 28-17.

Playing very much to their strength and keeping the ball close to their dominant pack, the visitors then took control, crossing the Raiders line four times without replay to lead 41-28 with five minutes remaining.

Despite there being no way back the Raiders stuck to their task and in the final play Ollie Dyke streaked in for the final score to round off the scoring.