Event has wheel appeal
Over the past four weeks the Year 5/6 class at Gresham Village School have been participating in the Go-Ride cycle programme run by British Cycling. The Go-Ride programme is a groundbreaking initiative that hopes to find and develop future World and Olympic cycling champions.
Over the past four weeks the Year 5/6 class at Gresham Village School have been participating in the Go-Ride cycle programme run by British Cycling.
The Go-Ride programme is a groundbreaking initiative that hopes to find and develop future World and Olympic cycling champions.
Trained British cycling coaches Mark Wyer and Simon Edwards have delivered the four two-hour sessions on our school field on the last four Tuesday afternoons. They provided enough cycles and helmets for the whole class.
The sessions covered a wide range of cycling activities which catered for all abilities. The activities included fun games, slalom, obstacle courses and team games.
You may also want to watch:
As well as participating in fun activities the children also learned how to use their brakes and gears properly and how to control their bikes.
Mark and Simon talked to the children about professional riders Bradley Wiggins and Shanaze Reade and the children got the opportunity to participate in some Olympic-style events.
- 1 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 2 Beavers hard at work transforming chalk stream after Norfolk introduction
- 3 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 4 Man released on bail after reports of fight in village
- 5 See inside this converted Victorian school on sale for £650,000
- 6 Lifeboat crews called to help sinking fishing boat off Norfolk coast
- 7 Wartime spirit fills north Norfolk as 1940s weekend returns
- 8 New golfing trophy named after club stalwart
- 9 WATCH: Pigs root out Second World War bomb
- 10 Hundreds of noisy neighbour complaints in North Norfolk during pandemic
At the end of the four sessions the children were given information about local cycling clubs including Norwich Stars Cycle Speedway Club and Norwich Flyers Speedway Club in which they were invited to join. They were also presented with certificates and a goodie bags.
Comments from the children included: 'really fun', 'fabulous', 'awesome', and 'good as we learned so much in such a short time.'