Disappointing cup exit for Cromer Town


- Credit: Archant

Cromer Town 1 Wroxham Reserves 3

In the first of back-to-back fixtures against Wroxham Reserves Cabbell Park hosted the Mummery Cup second round tie.

As has been the case in recent weeks there were enforced changes with Terrington, Eves and Acheson unavailable. Harwood returned to the side whilst Jake McCabe on his return to the club was on the bench.

The visitors got off to a bright start and threatened early on. A through ball picked out the run of Matthew Doyle who was denied by John Howes who was out quickly to claim at the feet of the winger.

However on five minutes Wroxham took the lead. Daniel Rogers made a good forward run and the ball was played into his path and he coolly finished past Howes at the near post.

The away side had certainly settled the better of the two sides and the Crabs were somewhat sloppy with their play at times. But they did manage to creat a couple of chances and probably should have drawn level.

Firstly Ben Graver slid the ball through for Josh Halliday whose effort was saved by the feet of Ollie Sutton. A few minutes later Matthew Warnes picked out Paul Winterbone with a good cross but the striker headed wide.

Most Read

The visitors then regained control of the game. Rogers held his run perfectly to then run on to the pass but he slid the ball wide of the goal.

In the 36th minute Halliday's corner dropped in the box and after a bit of a scramble Graver got a shot away that was saved by Sutton.

This sparked a counter-attack from which Wroxham won a corner. A deep ball was headed back across goal and Eliot Wesby bundled into the net to extend his side's advantage.

It could have been worse for the Crabs at half-time as Rogers once again found himself one-on- one with Howes, but again the Cromer keeper stood up to the task.

Cromer needed to improve in the second half if they were going to get anything from the game, but it was the away side that pushed forward again.

A corner was flicked on at the near post and Doyle fired goalwards first time where Karl Horton reacted to clear off the line. Cain Eagleton then showed some nifty footwork to evade challenges and shoot from the edge of the box, forcing another save from Howes.

On 55 minutes Wroxham made it 3-0 and all but secured their place in the third round. Once again a forward pass through the Cromer defence caused problems as Doyle chased down. He was tracked by Matthew Warnes who slid in to clear the ball but the ball deflected back off Doyle and ran perfectly for him to have the simplest tap in.

Cromer's lacklustre performance continued to the end although they did grab a consolation in time added on when Graver headed home from Halliday's corner.

The young Wroxham side were fully deserving of their victory but the Crabs will be looking for great improvement when they face Wroxham again this weekend, this time in the league at Trafford Park (2.30pm).

Cromer: Howes, Warnes, Green (McCabe), Bradshaw, Harwood, Halliday, Warnes, Horton, Graver, Winterbone (Lewandowski), Willimott. Sub Not Used: Spilling.

Wroxham: Sutton, Daniels, Curran, Lewis, Pope, Eagleton, Doyle, Turner, Rogers, Wesby, Priestley. Subs: Appleton, Knight, Howes.