Cup joy for Cromer pair
Royal Cromer's Amber Ratcliffe and Sarah Steventon scored a convincing win in the final of the Young Cup at Swaffham. Amber, 12, and her adult partner Sarah defeated the Royal Norwich pair of Jennifer Hide, 15, and Nicky Wylie 7/5 in the final.
Royal Cromer's Amber Ratcliffe and Sarah Steventon scored a convincing win in the final of the Young Cup at Swaffham.
Amber, 12, and her adult partner Sarah defeated the Royal Norwich pair of Jennifer Hide, 15, and Nicky Wylie 7/5 in the final.
The Norfolk foursomes knockout is contested by pairs of junior and lady golfers from the same club.
Both pairs had reached the final after tough semi-finals which each went to the 19th hole. Jennifer and Nicky beat Lu and Penny Humberston of Dereham, while Amber and Sarah beat Laura Gathercole & Sally Bettinson of King's Lynn.
You may also want to watch:
In the final - watched by a good crowd of spectators - Amber and Sarah made a confident start and were three up after four holes.
Royal Norwich won the seventh after Jennifer faded a magnificent second shot around the trees to land a few feet from the pin. But the Royal Cromer duo bounced straight back with a winning par on the eighth and moved to four up after Amber chipped in for a birdie on the 10th. They kept up the pressure, winning the next three holes with a faultless display which secured the trophy.
- 1 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
- 2 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 3 People told to shut doors and windows after suspected gas leak
- 4 Excitement as heritage railway's 1940s weekend returns
- 5 Vintage tractor enthusiast's prized collection goes under the hammer
- 6 Drivers face delays due to temporary traffic lights
- 7 Open for business - new cancer centre accepts first patient
- 8 Caribbean workers helped to save Norfolk's fruit harvest
- 9 Your say - does Aylsham's market need to improve?
- 10 Cromer: gang throw glass bottles at group near beach
Amber, who plays off seven, and Sarah, an eight-handicapper, received one shot from Jennifer, also seven, and Nicky, six handicap.
The trophy was presented by Karen Young, the Norfolk golf development officer, who encouraged all juniors to find a lady partner and enter next year's competition.