Cromer Town well beaten in their first game of the season

Cromer Town boss Lee Hackleton. Picture: Steve Wood

Cromer Town boss Lee Hackleton. Picture: Steve Wood - Credit: Archant

Acle United 5 Cromer Town 0

Cromer Town got their Almary Green Anglian Combination Premier Division season under way on Friday night, but new manager Lee Hackleton's first competitive fixture against reigning champions Acle ended in a heavy defeat.

The home side look lively from the first minute against a Cromer side featuring six new faces and they took the lead in the 13th minute when Dan Anderson ran down the right wing before picking out Tim Henery who made no mistake.

A few minutes later it was 2-0 when a free-kick from the right of the penalty box was blasted across goal by Daniel Foreman, clipping the head of Rolfe leaving the Cromer keeper with no chance.

With the sun and slope against them, and the home side having a majority of the possession the Crabs were finding it difficult to get out of their own half. However, on the half-hour mark Adam Willimott's cross found the head of Darren Terrington whose header from close range was somehow kept out by the diving Scott Foreman.

Moments later Terrington laid the ball into Marian Jobbagy who was brought down on the edge of the box. From the resulting free-kick Ben Graver stepped up and forced a good save from Foreman.

The Crabs needed to make a bright start to the second half to give themselves the best chance of getting back into the game but the back-to-back Sterry Cup winners continued their dominance. Some sharp play prompted a quick attack as Press switched the ball to Anderson who found Whiting but he dragged his effort wide.

Most Read

Another attack was then dealt with partially has a half clearance dropped for James Foreman whose superb first time strike from 25 yards was deflected away. From the resulting corner Acle grabbed their third when the same player nodded home after a good near post run.

The game as a contest was now over and Cromer were now playing for pride. but unfortunately for their hosts were showing no sign of letting up.

The lively Henery controlled superbly but was unable to find a finish to match his touch and put the ball wide. Minutes later the Acle forward made no mistake as once again he was in behind the defence and had all the time in the world as he rounded Howes before rolling the ball home to complete his brace.

In the 70th minute the home side piled on more misery as Manning's cross from the left went goalwards and Howes was unable to claim and the ball went into the back of the net.

With the job more than done Acle were able to cruise home. The Crabs did have a couple of late chances to grab a consolation. Firstly Thomas Markham was denied by Foreman in the Acle goal and in added time Matthew Eves fired narrowly wide.

This was a disastrous start to the season for Cromer who were comprehensively beaten. There can be very few complaints about the result as the home side were more than good value for their victory and the three points.

Cromer: Howes, Rolfe, Warnes, Graver, Jordan, Halliday (Moon), Jobbagy (Spillings), Horton, Terrington, Eves, Willimott (Markham).

On Tuesday the Crabs beat neighbours Sheringham 3-0 in their second match of the season with goals from Benjamin Moon, Darren Terrington and Thomas Markham.

Cromer's next league match is at home to Long Stratton on Wednesday, September 3 (7.30pm).