Cromer Town’s fine display rewarded with all three points

Cromer Town 2 St Andrews 0

After coming from two goals behind last time out to draw Cromer picked up all three points as they beat St Andrews.

Following a couple of weeks with multiple enforced changes to the squad the Crabs were close to full strength with only Michael Warnes missing. Matthew Warnes was rested still feeling the effects of the hamstring injury that forced him off at Wroxham, writes Richard Cox.

The home side were forced to make an early substitution when goalkeeper John Howes pulled up with a groin injury. This saw midfielder Ben Graver take the gloves with Jake McCabe coming on. Following the change Graver was called into action to keep out Damon Bensley's effort at the near post.

Once the hosts were settled they began to play some superb passing football, breaking forward with great tempo, and this saw them take the lead in the 17th minute.

The ball was played into Darren Terrington who then played it wide to Matthew Eves. Eves then crossed for Adam Willimott who was coming in at the back post and he fired first time back across goal into the right side of the net. The Crabs were well in control and were arguably playing some of their best football they had played this season.

However despite having a lot of the ball the hosts weren't creating many problems in the final third and St Andrews keeper Bond was relatively untroubled apart from a set-piece when the ball broke to David Harwood whose first time strike was saved.

Most Read

Cromer went in with a narrow advantage at the break which for their dominance could and should have perhaps been more. But from a defensive point of view they looked secure with Graver relatively untroubled.

The second half saw the Crabs start with a similar control. They won an early corner which was just out of the reach of Benji Moon. The visitors did then come close to equalising but Graver again saved to keep out the first time effort.

On the hour mark a superb diagonal ball from Paul Bradshaw picked out Eves who controlled brilliantly and then beat a couple of defenders played the ball to Josh Halliday who squared again to Terrington but this was one pass too many and the St Andrews defence were able to get back.

The away side again threatened when a cross found Chris Priest at the back post but his volley was blocked superbly by McCabe.

In the 71st minute Cromer finally got their second goal. Willimott won the ball back brilliantly inside his own half and this started a quick counter- attack.

He played the ball to Karl Horton who then passed wide to Eves. He then got to the byline and showed great composure before crossing low to Terrington who had a simple tap-in.

This would prove to be the last meaningful effort at goal as the hosts saw out the final 20 minutes with relative ease to secure the first victory since Horton and Terrington took over.

Cromer: Howes (McCabe), Harwood (Spilling), Grady, Bradshaw, Moon, Halliday, Willimott (Green), Horton, Terrington, Graver, Eves.