Cromer Town runners-up

Hempnall 1, Cromer Town 3Cromer travelled to Hempnall knowing that a victory would secure runners-up spot. They put in another excellent performance to come away with a 3-1 win, writes Richard Cox.

Hempnall 1, Cromer Town 3

Cromer travelled to Hempnall knowing that a victory would secure runners-up spot. They put in another excellent performance to come away with a 3-1 win, writes Richard Cox.

The game started with a lot of the play going from one end to the other. Karl Horton's cross had to be pushed over the bar. Hempnall striker Robert Browne then got goalside of Liam Davies and crossed low into the six-yard box. The ball came off Neil Bugdale and was only kept out by a sharp reaction save from Parsons.

Former Cromer player Steven Barnes then saw his shot go just over. Cromer's Simon Durrant had his left-foot effort headed off the line. The same player was then off target with his header.

In the 36th minute Shaun Flint got onto the loose ball. He appeared to control it with his arm but the play was allowed to continue, he beat Parsons but rolled it wide.

Before half-time Durrant beat two players and made space for himself to get his shot away, but this was deflected onto the post and wide.

Most Read

Both sides had chances to score but the game remained goalless at the break.

The second half started in a similar manner. Browne wasted a superb opportunity when he got into a perfect position to volley home a cross from the left, but he fired wide from close range.

Tom Davies volleyed over from long range and Paul Bradshaw's header was cleared off the line.

Around the hour mark the deadlock was finally broken.

A corner was cleared to the edge of the box where Horton fired back into the box. Darren Terrington controlled brilliantly and fired into the back of the net.

Terrington dispossessed the defender but Ben Cudden saved with his feet. Durrant then saw his

25-yard shot sail just over.

On 66 minutes Terrington got his second to make it 2-0. The ball was played to Jamie Hunton on the right wing, who ran into the box and lobbed the ball over Cudden for Terrington to have a simple tap-in.

The Crabs then had most of the ball and looked likely to score more goals. Terrington was at the end of most of the Cromer moves.

He headed over a Tom Davies cross, then fired high from just inside the box and his header from Harwood's corner was also wide.

Hempnall, who had threatened very little in the second half, were given a lifeline. A corner was put into the six-yard box among loads of bodies. The defence and goalkeeper couldn't get the ball away and Hempnall scored from close range.

It turned out to be just a consolation as on 86 minutes Terrington made it 3-1. He got onto the through-ball, coolly rounded Cudden and slotted home for his hat-trick.

The Crabs' fifth straight win secured second place and Cromer again showed the kind of display they can put on. Yet another hard-working performance with numerous moments of good, flowing football.

As this season draws to a close manager Chris Wigger has seen lots of positives in recent weeks to take into next season.

The reserves, who were fourth, travelled to third-placed Loddon Reserves and came away with a fantastic 5-0 win.

Liam Walsh, Ryan Walsh, Duncan Mills, Ben Zelos and Nick Bond scored the goals. This win moved them into third on goal difference.

With five games remaining they need two more victories to secure promotion, and five wins would see them go up as champions

Congratulations to Wroxham Reserves who sealed the Sterry Cup title on Saturday. The young Wroxham side thoroughly deserved the championship as they have played some of the best football and have been the most consistent throughout the season.

Cromer Town 3, Mattishall 1

ALREADY relegated, Mattishall visited Cabbell Park last week.

The first chance went to the visitors. Howard Duff was in an offside position but there was no flag.

He took the ball round Parsons but he went too wide and his cross was cut out. George Ledger then kicked straight to Darren Terrington, but he was denied by a well-timed tackle.

On eight minutes a cross from the Mattishall left was spilled by Parsons and fell perfectly for Jason Knight, but from close range he scuffed off target.

David Harwood's free-kick was pushed away by Ledger before, on 27 minutes, the Crabs took the lead.

Simon Durrant played the ball perfectly into the forward run of Ryan Honeyman. He rounded Ledger and coolly laid it across to Terrington who had a simple finish from close range.

Horton's low, long-range effort was kept out. Cromer went in at the break with a slender lead, and they came out at the start of the second half looking to extend it.

The ball ran through to Terrington but his shot was saved. Liam Davies got the loose ball, cut into the box, played the ball across the goal and it found its way into the net off the keeper's arm.

Cromer continued to create chances. Tom Davies made a good run to the edge of the box but shot just wide. Durrant headed wide from Bugdale's corner.

On 71 minutes Hunton made a quick run down the right into the box, crossed to Terrington at the near post, whose flick header forced Ledger into a brilliant diving save.

The Crabs grabbed a third in the 80th minute. Tom Davies turned on the halfway line and played a one-two with Durrant. Davies moved into the box before he fired low across the goal and Hunton came in at the back post for a simple tap-in.

Terrington then had his shot saved by the feet of Ledger.

In time added on Mattishall grabbed a consolation goal with virtually the last kick of the game.

James Lovell had lots of time and space on the edge of the box and found the top-right corner with an excellent finish.