Cromer Tennis Club’s season getting into full swing
- Credit: Archant
Cromer Men's D team played Marsh on the the club's grass courts.
John Baker and Will Stoppani won their first rubber against David Petch and Tom Howe 12-4 while Kelvin Van Hasselt and Sian Stoppani lost their rubber against this pair 6-10.
John and Will then had a close rubber against Ian Jamison and Chris Musset, finally winning 9-7 while Kelvin and Sian lost against this pair 5-11.
Both teams played steady tennis which brought about an overall draw at 32-32.
In the North Norfolk League, Cromer Bad Bouncers played Cromer Net Cords. John Williams and Adam Spruce drew against Alistair Dunnett and Gary Spruce in the men's doubles 4-6, 7-6 while in the ladies' doubles the third member of the Spruce dynasty, Jean and her partner Emma Smith won against Lorraine Young and Tessa Turner 6-4, 6-1.
In the Mixed Doubles, John and Emma beat Alistair and Tessa 6-4, 6-0 and the other pairing of Lorraine and Gary drew against Adam and Jean 6-1, 4-6.
The Bad Bouncers won overall 6-2, winning 42 games against Net Cords' 31.
- 1 Four Norfolk gastropubs named among best in UK
- 2 Should it stay or should it go? Concerns for fate of town's hare sculpture
- 3 30-year-old to take over as district council leader
- 4 New group's bid to take over Holt Hall
- 5 Woman 'shocked' after brick thrown through living-room window
- 6 Two recycling centres to be closed - and replaced with new £4m tips
- 7 Nail bar owner now planning to open third shop in north Norfolk
- 8 Sheringham councillor memorialised at The Reef
- 9 Ever fancied being a real life CSI? Now's your chance!
- 10 Police investigate report of drink-spiking at North Walsham pub
Cromer Baseliners travelled to North Elmham for their first match of the season.
Geoff Cramp partnered Steve Bale to a draw in the men's doubles against Les Digby and Humphrey Borgris 6-1, 4-6. Anne Armitage and Chris Chapman won the ladies' doubles 6-1 6-3 against Christine Skipper and Jennie Borgris.
In the Mixed doubles, Anne and Geoff won their match against Les and Christine 6-4, 6-3 and in the other mixed Chris and Steve won 6-1, 6-2. This gave the Baseliners the win 7-1 (46-21).
Cromer D Ladies match against Cringleford began in changeable weather. Despite dark clouds, the ladies took to the grass courts on time.
Nikki Baker and Jean Spruce won their first round match 9-7 but Maggie Tranter and Caroline Freeth lost their first match 7-9.
In the second round, Maggie and Caroline lost 7-9 again and Nikki and Jean lost 7.9. This gave the overall win to Cringleford.
Annie Cowper Johnston and Lisa Lowe travelled to Lime Tree Road in Norwich to take part in the Libby Ferris one-day tournament.
They enjoyed a fine day's tennis which culminated in them beating Sarah Wells and Kate Murray 6-4 in the final.