Cromer Squash team’s success continues
Cromer's Anaco sponsored Norfolk SRA Summer League Division One match at North Norfolk this week was postponed but the second team made it six wins from seven matches as they comfortably beat visiting Fakenham II to consolidate their position at the top of Division Three.
With the team doing well everybody is keen to play and captain Martin Sanville was able to select an unchanged team which once again left Technical Director Barry Starling free to oversee operations and pass on advice from the balcony.
Nick Dunnett is by far and away the team's youngest member and he is gaining some invaluable experience for the more demanding winter season ahead by regularly playing in the fourth string slot. He is still learning how to cope with the step up from internal league squash to competitive matchplay but he is improving all the while and opened up a 2-1 lead in his match against Jono Lynn before going down to a 3-2 defeat.
Pensioner John Chandler had two close games with the visitors' captain Tim Venes before winning them both and going on to win his third string match in straight games to record his sixth win of the summer while Martin Sanville won for the fourth time in a row as he beat Stephen Horn in a hard hitting second string encounter.
In the first string match Matt Copeman was too strong and too experienced for Gary Hastings as he eased his way to a comfortable 3-0 win against an opponent who never gave up which gave the Cromer team a 15-4 victory.
Starling was delighted with the team's performance but he was less pleased that the first team match was postponed. Afterwards he said: 'I wasn't aware that the match was being called off.
'The league operates on a tight schedule and we have a commitment to fulfil our fixtures and even if we couldn't get out a full strength side I have several other players who would have played – there are several who can't get a game for the second team at the moment. The second team once again did well. Nick Dunnett is learning all the while, John Chandler is not letting his Olympic commitments get in the way of his squash and both Martin Sanville and Matt Copeman are having a good summer.'
- 1 Two recycling centres to be closed - and replaced with new £4m tips
- 2 Nail bar owner now planning to open third shop in north Norfolk
- 3 7 of the best places to get street food on the Norfolk coast
- 4 'Absolute insanity' - Village' in massive backlash to homes plan
- 5 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week
- 6 North Norfolk road closed with drivers asked to avoid area
- 7 New group's £3.3 million bid to take over Holt Hall
- 8 Police investigate report of drink-spiking at North Walsham pub
- 9 Memorial bench planned to honour long-serving flood warden
- 10 Siberian dogs are finding new Norfolk homes thanks to three animal lovers
Results: Matt Copeman beat Gary Hastings 9-2 9-1 9-2, Martin Sanville beat Stephen Horn 5-9 9-6 9-4 9-3, John Chandler beat Tim Venes 9-7 10-8 9-2, Nick Dunnett lost to Jono Lynn 9-0 9-10 9-4 4-9 0-9.