Cromer pick up points at bottom club


- Credit: Archant

Harleston 0 Cromer Town 1

Cromer made the long trip to South Norfolk to face bottom of the table Harleston and came away with a much-needed and well-deserved win.

The Crabs scored what proved to be the winning goal after just 11 minutes. A quickly taken throw by Michael Warnes to Karl Horton caught the hosts out and Horton played the ball back to Warnes who then picked out Jack Hurrell with a cross. He found himself between the two centre halves and headed past Howes.

In the 17th minute the ball dropped to Chris Hall at the near post but a superb diving blockfrom Tom Rolfe, kept out his effort.

The remainder of the half was fairly uneventful and the away side had the lead at the break and early in the second half it was the Crabs that looked like extending their advantage. Sean Sandell won back possession and laid the ball back to Michael Warnes who then found Hurrell. The Cromer striker took the shot on first time and put it narrowly wide.

Then Sandell made a good run down the right before delivering into the box where the ball reached Horton but he headed over from a good position.

The home side then looked to get back into the game. Firstly Roberts had his shot blocked, before some more determined defending kept Hall's shot out and the rebound was headed over.

Most Read

Until the final five minutes the game was confined to the middle third but in the 85th minute the result should have been put beyond doubt. Horton pressed the ball well and forced a short back pass from Sam Watts and Hurrell nipped in and rounded Howes but his tired effort found the side netting.

In time added on Harleston could have found an equaliser. James Pipe's strike from 25 yards was pushed away by Pauling and in the last attack of the game Watts put his header just wide of the post.

Cromer: Pauling, Warnes, Willimott, Warnes, Johnson, Rolfe, Smith, Horton, Hurrell (Lightfoot), Sandell, Eves (Dyball). Sub not used: Acheson.

The Reserves' cup fixture against Redgrave Rangers was postponed due to the opponents being unable to field a side. Both sides are without a game this Saturday but the Reserves host UEA Reserves next Tuesday night (7.30pm)'

The area's interest in the Mummery Cup ended on Saturday when North Walsham and Aylsham both bowed out of the competition.

The Angels were thrashed 7-1 by Premier Division Mulbarton, with top scorer Liam Jackson scoring the consolation, while Aylsham lost 3-0 at Wroxham Reserves.

Stalham had to settle for a point in Division One as they were held 2-2 by visitors Hindringham (Antoni Fawkes, Charlie Skipper).

Sheringham, who were without a game on Saturday, returned to action on Tuesday when they entertained Wymondham Town.

The Shannocks ran out 3-1 winners, to move to up to fourth in Division One. On Saturday the Shannocks travel to high-flying Beccles while the other division games are Loddon v Holt, Wymondham Town v North Walsham and Foulsham v Aylsham. Stalham travel west to take on Dersingham in the Norfolk Senior Cup.