Cromer FC’s 11-0 win soured by Landamore injury

Hempnall 0 Cromer Town 11

Cromer were looking to bounce back from the disappointment of the midweek home defeat against Spixworth when they travelled to bottom side Hempnall.

Shaun Cameron and Antoni Fawkes were both absent due to slight injuries and David Harwood dropped to the bench with Simon Durrant, Matthew Eves and Craig Terrington all coming into the starting 11.

Manager Chris Wigger needed a response from his players and this he certainly got. The Crabs took the lead after just five minutes. Keeper Quantrill didn't deal with Craig Terrington's cross and his clearance fell to Dave Matthews to slot home.

Matthews got his and Cromer's second in the 14th minute thanks to a speculative volley from 20 yards that left the keeper with no chance. With every attack Cromer looked like scoring and Terrington played the ball into the path of Liam Landamore who then did the same to Simon Durrant who lifted the ball over the onrushing Quantrill.

Straight after the restart it became 4-0. Sam Applegate dropped the ball back to Karl Horton who picked out Durrant with his first time cross, and Durrant's looping header found the back of the net.

It was like it was a different Cromer side to that that had played midweek and it was unfortunately clear to see why it had been a season of struggle for their opponents. Terrington's delivery into the box was proving to be a very good weapon and this was the source of the next three goals. Number five came after Terrington had played a one two with Landamore before squaring across the face of goal for Dale Wilton to tap in. Then Terrington's free kick from deep was headed back across goal by Liam Davies and Durrant headed home to complete a first half hat-trick.

Most Read

On 40 minutes it was 7-0 when Terrington played the ball into Durrant who smartly flicked the ball into the path of Landamore to then slot past Quantrill. It had been a superb first half display and it was just a case of how much Cromer could improve their goal difference.

Cromer made it eight in the 49th minute when Horton got the ball inside and then his strike deflected to Wilton who gave it back to the overlapping run of Horton. He then put the ball across the face of goal for another simple finish for Durrant.

Minutes later it was 9-0 when a throw in down the line was picked up by Durrant who crossed into Wilton, who had acres of space to take a touch before firing past Quantrill.

Soon after the Crabs made it into double figures. Horton and Wilton again linked up and the latter got in behind the defence before squaring to Durrant for yet another tap in. On the hour mark the Crabs grabbed their 11th goal of the game and Durrant completed his double hat-trick when he had another finish from close range after a Matthew Jordan cross.

There was still half an hour remaining and there was no telling at what point the goal scoring would end. Landamore passed to Wilton whose shot was saved. Then Hempnall's afternoon got worse when they conceded a penalty for a foul on Wilton. The winger picked himself up to take the spot kick but his strike hit the post and then the keeper to go behind for a corner.

On 75 minutes the tone of the afternoon was unfortunately changed when a miss-timed tackle just inside the box on Landamore saw the offender receive a straight red card and a penalty was awarded. However the penalty was not able to be taken and the game was brought to an early conclusion as the Crabs midfielder had suffered a serious injury which required the ambulance to be called.

Cromer: Jackson, Applegate, C. Terrington, Davies, S. Jordan, Landamore, Wilton, Horton, Matthews (D. Terrington), Durrant, Eves (M. Jordan). Sub Not Used: Harwood.

Cromer Town 0 Spixworth 1

After months without playing at Cabbell Park due to the drainage issues Cromer finally made a return to their home pitch last Tuesday night when Spixworth were the visitors.

The Crabs were forced to make one change to the side that had breezed past Kirkley with Liam Davies coming in for the absent Craig Terrington, with a slight re-jig to the back four.

The visitors had only suffered one defeat in the league so far this season and they started the better of the two sides and took the lead after 12 minutes. A long ball forward wasn't dealt with and Davies' header fell short and allowed Jason Armes to nip in and coolly lift the ball over Andy Jackson.

The Crabs seemed completely off the pace and the away side had chances to punish them. Charlie Bartum made a direct run towards goal before smashed the ball over the bar. Bartrum was again involved, turning creator giving the ball to Armes but this time he failed to test Jackson.

Spixworth deservedly had the lead at the break and the Crabs needed to greatly improve their performance if they were to get back into the game.

Sadly for the hosts they never seriously threatened a comeback and Spixworth deservedly took the points.

Cromer are at Loddon on Saturday before a swift re-match with Hempnall at Cabbell Park on Tuesday evening.

Cromer: Jackson, Harwood, Cameron (Durrant), Davies, S. Jordan, Landamore, Wilton, Horton, Matthews, Fawkes (D. Terrington), Applegate. Sub Not Used: M. Jordan

The match was sponsored by John Lines, electrician.