Cromer FC ride luck to record third straight league win

Cromer Town 1 Wroxham Reserves 0

Following last weeks' cup disappointment the Crabs looked to get back to winning ways when they entertained Wroxham Reserves.

There were a couple of changes to the Cromer side. Jonny Davison came in at right back for the suspended Liam Davies and Matthew Eves came into the attack in place of John Curtis who dropped to the bench.

The first effort of the game came from the hosts when Karl Horton's pressure forced the Wroxham back line to give the ball away to the Cromer midfielder who then played it through to Simon Freemantle, but his lob attempt was saved by Tibbs.

It was then the visitors that took control of the game. They began to play some nice football and on the half hour mark McNeil got goalside of his marker but put his header over. Joe Marsden then broke forward before shooting from the edge of the box, but his effort was high and wide.

The Crabs then caused their own problems when they gave the ball away to Marsden inside the box, but he fired straight at Andy Jackson. The keeper was again called upon, this time to deny Jamie George.

Marsden again looked a threat for the visitors and in the 40th minute he showed good pace and skill to work his way into a shooting position. His effort took a deflection but a diving Jackson was more than up to it and pushed the ball away for a corner.

Most Read

It had been the hosts that had been the most productive in the first half but they had failed to take any of their chances and the game remained goalless at the break.

Early in the second half Wroxham again threatened when a straight ball down the middle ran to George. The ball lured Jackson from his goal line and he was in no-man's-land, leaving George with a lob into an open goal, but instead he looked to smash it and the ball went wide.

Having somehow escaped without conceding Cromer would make the visitors pay for not taking one of the chances. On 65 minutes some sharp passing play in the Cromer midfield ended with the ball going wide to Ben Furlong. He then cut inside and his shot was saved, but the ball came back out to Furlong who finished first time.

The Crabs had seemingly seen off the main danger from their opponents and the closing quarter of the game was much more comfortable for the reigning champions. They did have an opportunity to make it 2-0 before the end when Furlong played a slick pass through to Curtis but he slid the ball narrowly wide.

The 90 minutes was then up and it was three league wins out of three for the Crabs. It was far from their best display and they will be hoping for some improvement ahead of this weekend's trip to Blofield.

The performance of Wroxham Reserves can not be ignored as with a very young side they played some good football, especially in the first half, and created several good opportunities but fortunately for Cromer they didn't take any of them. The match was sponsored by Dalia Spice.

Cromer: Jackson, Davison (McCabe), Applegate, M. Jordan, S. Jordan, Landamore, Eves, Horton, Fawkes, Freemantle (Curtis), Furlong. Subs Not Used: Farrow.

Wroxham Res: Tibbs, Jones, Rust, Lewis, McNeil, Boswell, Sanders, Harty, Smith, George, Marsden. Subs: Mitchell, Atree, Doyle.