Crabs secure top-four finish
Sprowston Athletic 1, Cromer Town 5MIDWEEK saw the second meeting in four days between the sides. The win made certain of a top-four Anglian Combination Premier Division finish for Cromer.
Sprowston Athletic 1, Cromer Town 5
MIDWEEK saw the second meeting in four days between the sides. The win made certain of a top-four Anglian Combination Premier Division finish for Cromer.
Manager Chris Wigger had to make one change, with Ryan Honeyman replacing the suspended Ben Sharman.
John Carrierand Matthew Eves set up Darren Terrington, but the ball was nicked away from the Cromer striker as he was about to volley towards goal. Terrington, glanced a corner towards goal, but stand-in goalkeeper Jody Cork pushed the ball over the bar.
Jason Arms fired a home free-kick towards goal. Cromer keeper Kevin Overton was unable to hold onto it first time, but he reacted brilliantly to gather the ball at the feet of the oncoming attackers.
Athletic took the lead. Armes got the wrong side of the Cromer defence and the ball through to him was perfect and he closed on goal and slid the ball into the bottom corner.
- 1 Swap shop for women's clothing opens in Cromer
- 2 Food review, The Crawfish Inn, Thursford: ‘Massive value for money'
- 3 People come 'from all over the country' to try this Norfolk seafood platter
- 4 Lily, 13, 'excited' as first novel hits book shops
- 5 New boss hopes to put his own stamp on Sheringham cafe
- 6 School celebrates being Norfolk's first to gain LGBTQ+ inclusion award
- 7 Weather warning as strong winds set to hit parts of Norfolk this weekend
- 8 10-year-old town centre deli announces sudden closure
- 9 Warning after dogs left 'limp or lifeless' by mystery illness
- 10 Tribute paid to much-loved dad who died in cycling accident
Cromer responded immediately when Simon Durrant headed home from a Tom Davies corner. Terrington then headed over from and Eves cross.
In the 40th minute Cromer took the lead with an excellent goal. Terrington flicked the ball on to the run of Carrier, who squared for Tom Davies to slide it
Just before half-time David Harwood rattled the crossbar twice, with a header from close range and then from a 40-yard free-kick.
The Crabs extended their lead at the start of the second half. Carrier crossed from the right to Terrington, who headed home from 10 yards.
Cromer grabbed a fourth on 64 minutes. Carrier was again the creator, chipping the ball through to Terrington, who timed his run perfectly and coolly finished, taking his tally to 20 for the season.
In the closing moments Cromer sealed an emphatic victory, adding a fifth when Terrington flicked on Spruce's long throw and Ryan Honeyman headed the loose ball into the goal.
On Wednesday night Holt Reserves drew 2-2 away to Hempnall Reserves, with Liam Walsh and Tom Davies getting the goals.