Crabs play out two draws

Cromer Town 0, Mattishall 0CROMER hosted Mattishall in what will be the first of many mid-week fixtures. Barnes was the only absentee due to suspension, writes Richard Cox.

Cromer Town 0, Mattishall 0

CROMER hosted Mattishall in what will be the first of many mid-week fixtures. Barnes was the only absentee due to suspension, writes Richard Cox.

The visitors had most of the early possession but only had one decent chance when Gary Starling's corner

went to Jason Cole at the near post, his header narrowly wide.

Cromer got on top with their first chance coming when Josh Gray picked out Darren Terrington, but his header was easily saved by George Pledger.

Pressure from Tom Davies forced Pledger to spill the ball but his defence scrambled the ball clear.

Most Read

David Harwood then slid the ball through to Terrington whose shot was deflected for a corner.

Horton picked out Terrington whose header forced a great save from Pledger. Terrington, on the next attack, flicked the ball on to Liam Davies who headed over. The match was goalless at the break.

The Crabs had another chance at the start of the second half. Ben Sharman laid the ball to Karl Horton whose excellent strike was tipped round a post by Pledger.

Mattishall then had some chances. Chris Hall was through one on one with Kellett but wasted the chance, firing at the keeper's feet. Joe Edwards connected well with a volley but it was blocked by the Cromer defence.

In the 74th minute Terrington flicked the ball through to substitute James Pipe who was brought down on the edge of the box by the goalkeeper. The resulting free-kick was goal bound before deflecting out for a corner. The corner was played short and Horton's ball in was headed onto their own bar by a defender.

The last opportunities of the game went to Mattishall. Daniel Palmer's effort was saved by Kellett. From the resulting corner Ryan Honeyman cleared off the line.

Cromer will be disappointed not to have taken one of their chances but they could also have lost if Mattishall had not spurned some of their opportunities.

Sheringham 2, Cromer Town 2

CROMER made one change to the side for Saturday's derby clash with Paul Bradshaw coming in at centre-half in place of the injured Daniel Cullington.

Chances were few and far between for either side and it became clear that it was going to be a physical games - with tackles flying in by both teams.

Cromer caused the first threat. Terrington knocked the ball down to Liam Davies whose shot deflected for a corner. Harwood at the second attempt from the wing picked out Davies, who headed wide.

On 21 minutes Sheringham took the lead. Andy Hubbard's ball ran to the back post where Jonathon Abbs rolled it back across goal for Andy Gleave to have a simple tap-in from close range.

Just after the half-hour mark the Crabs drew level. Karl Horton lifted the ball over the Sheringham defence and Terrington timed his run perfectly and coolly slotted past Andy Jackson into the bottom corner.

Ten minutes into the second half Cromer took the lead. The ball was pumped forward, Jackson came out to claim it but spilt it and it ran for Terrington to tap home his second of

the game.

Terrington had more chances. His long-range effort was tipped over by Jackson and then from a Josh Gray cross he headed over.

In the closing minutes the Shannocks looked to grab an equaliser. The ball fell kindly to Gleave who fired wide, but they did equalise in the 88th minutes.

A needless free-kick was given away on the edge of the box. Danny Tanti shot from the set piece and the tame effort seemed an easy save for Kellett.

The Cromer goalkeeper seemed to have hold of the ball, only for it to end up in the back of the net.

In time added on, Cromer had one final chance to take all the points when Bradshaw laid the ball to Horton, who failed to test the keeper from 12 yards

and fired wide.

The second draw of the week for Cromer who will certainly see it as points dropped as they look to keep the pressure on in the race for league honours.

This weekend sees Ridgeons Premier Division outfit Norwich United come to Cabbell Park in the Norfolk Senior Cup semi-finals. This is the club's biggest game of the season with the victors on a trip to Carrow Road on April 13.

The Reserves continued their good run of results with a 2-1 win at home to Martham. Simon Durrant and Shaun Cameron got the goals.