Crabs now focus back on league

Wroxham 5, Cromer Town 1

Cromer's first game since mid-November saw them travel to Ridgeons Premier high-flyers Wroxham in the fourth round of the Norfolk Senior Cup, and the hosts proved too strong for the Crabs.

The scoreline was not a true reflection of the Crabs' display, writes Richard Cox.

Considering they had not played for nearly two months and were up against a very good, organised side they did themselves proud.

On another day, a couple of chances may have been taken and it could have been different. If Cromer take this kind of performance into the second half of the season it will hold them in good stead in their quest for Sterry Cup success.

As expected, it was the home side who threatened first. Hilton turned smartly and laid the ball to Thompson whose quick feet allowed him into space before forcing a good save from Osborne. Then after a long stoppage due to an injury to Pauling, Hilton was again provider as he set up Langlois whose effort went wide.

Most Read

The Anglian Combination leaders then had chances of their own. Wilton made an excellent run down the right, beating Howes before squaring to Terrington who was free, but he dragged his effort wide. Cromer then threatened down the opposite wing and Terrington again received he ball. The former Wroxham striker saw his low strike go just wide.

The hosts took the lead. A clearance fell to Durrant just outside the box who controlled well before lobbing the ball over Osborne into the net.

But Wroxham didn't look like adding to their advantage immediately and it was Cromer who pushed forward once again. A free-kick from the left found Cameron, at the near post, who put his glancing header just wide of the goal. Carrier then saw his long- range effort just miss the target.

In first half added time Wroxham had chances to put the game beyond doubt. Firstly the ball ran to Langlois who had his shot saved by the foot of Osborne. The ball rebounded to Thompson whose effort was half blocked by Bradshaw before Osborne scrambled back to push the ball off the line. Thompson was through one- on-one with Osborne but the Cromer keeper made another fine stop.

Cromer were still well in the game and drew level immediately after the re-start. Harwood delivered a good ball into the box which wasn't cleared and it fell to Bradshaw who fired in.

The equaliser sparked the hosts into life. Durrant put a close-range effort wide before his side regained the lead just a couple minutes later when Gilmore found the bottom left corner with a fine driven strike from 25 yards.

Durrant then saw his shot hit the bar before Wroxham extended their lead when a wide free-kick went to the back post where Langlois was unmarked and he tapped in.

The Crabs pushed forward and, with a slight change in formation, did create opportunities.

A cross from the left picked out Terrington who put his header narrowly wide when you'd have fancied him to at least test Howie in the Wroxham goal. Terrington then laid the ball into Fawkes who had his shot saved. Osborne was called upon once more to deny Gilmore. Cromer committed bodies forward, leaving gaps at the back.

Hilton grabbed Wroxham's fourth when he slotted past Osborne and it was 5-1 when Hilton scored from the spot after Langlois had been fouled.