Crabs nip through to next round of cup
Cromer booked their placed in the next round of the Mummery Cup after beating Division One leaders Poringland in the second round at Cabbell Park.Cromer Town 3, Poringland Wanderers 2Cromer were forced to make a couple of changes with Gray and Pipe unavailable and Cullington also returned at centre-half in place of Bradshaw.
Cromer booked their placed in the next round of the Mummery Cup after beating Division One leaders Poringland in the second round at Cabbell Park.
Cromer Town 3, Poringland Wanderers 2
Cromer were forced to make a couple of changes with Gray and Pipe unavailable and Cullington also returned at centre-half in place of Bradshaw.
Wanderers made the better start. The ball was played inside to the run of Carl Musgrove, who went into the box - but his effort was high and wide.
Poringland took the lead on nine minutes. Goalkeeper Shaun Roberts' drop-kick went to Ali Shearer who was given loads of time and space to flick the ball on and Vaughan Stevenson gathered it from between the Cromer defence and coolly lifted it over Kellett.
- 1 Panoramic views for every customer after award-winning restaurant's refurb
- 2 Hardware store owners to bid farewell after seven decades in business
- 3 The £500,000 plan to redo two town loos
- 4 Norfolk boxer fined for exercising in Chapelfield Gardens during lockdown
- 5 Nominees for the North Norfolk Awards 2021 revealed
- 6 Seaside village set to sparkle by turning into giant advent calendar
- 7 Freezing cold temperatures could see snow in parts of Norfolk this weekend
- 8 Meet the candidates: Three parties face-off in district by-election
- 9 How Norfolk's current Covid figures compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 10 Your say: Should we close carparks at north Norfolk beauty spots?
Soon after going behind the Crabs took control of the game and an equaliser soon came. Karl Horton played the ball down the line for Terrington to chase.
Terrington's pressure forced a mistake from the defender, who gifted the ball to the Cromer No 9. He crossed to the back post where Matthew Eves headed home from close range.
Cromer continued to cause problems for Roberts in the Poringland goal.
He was first called to make a save to keep out Terrington's header. Then after he spilled Harwood's free-kick, he reacted quickly to save at Horton's feet.
The Crabs got their second before half-time when, from a corner, Horton found Steven Barnes at the back post, who headed into the back of the net.
The second half was very even and both sides struggled to create many telling chances. But the visitors did draw level when Chris Ault chased down the through ball and was able to get his shot away just before the tackle of Sharman.
The match seemed destined to go to extra time until the 85th minute when Harwood's free-kick from the left went to Liam Davies in the six-yard box, who coolly volleyed home.
The reserves were also in cup action and progressed into the second round of the Morley Cup with a 4-1 win at Aylsham Reserves thanks to goals from James Marsh, Fabian Denny, James Wright and Sonny Atherton.