Crabs hit four to beat Mattishall

Mattishall 2, Cromer Town 4

After the cup disappointment last weekend Cromer returned to league action with an away trip to Mattishall. Harwood, Wenham, Cameron, Landamore, Bugdale and Hinton all returned to the starting line-up.

The home side applied the early pressure with consecutive corner but they failed to make a breakthrough.

The visitors then had their first opportunity. Wilton didn't give up and won back possession before closing towards goal, he played the ball across goal and it was scuffed clear. The ball came back out to Wilton who then fired straight at the goalkeeper.

Mattishall were causing more of a threat. A long clearance forward went over the Cromer defence and Cole gathered but a poor first touch allowed the defence to get back and he then scuffed his effort wide.

The same player was then unfortunate to see he excellent 25 yard strike come back off the woodwork.

The hosts continued to pressure the Cromer goal with numerous set pieces and they finally got their reward. A free kick into the box reached the feet of Catchpole who was allowed time and space for a comfortable finish from eight yards to give his side the lead.

Most Read

Within a few minutes the Crabs equalised. Some excellent pressure saw the ball eventually break to Hinton who fired through the bodies into the corner of the net.

Shortly after Cromer had a brilliant chance to take the lead when the ball was headed back into the box to Cameron who was one on one with the keeper but he couldn't beat the Mattishall number one from close range.

Mattishall had another chance before the break and this saw them take the lead. Once again it came from a set piece. Poor marking allowed Catchpole to run free at the near post and the delivery was perfect for Catchpole to head into the opposite corner.

The Crabs made a bright start to the second half and looked certain to get the scores back level. They made it 2-2 when some good link up play between Hinton and Wilton saw the latter break into the box where he was then brought down. From the resulting spot kick Harwood sent the keeper the wrong way.

Chances were few and far between but it was the Crabs who were most dangerous and would go on to score again. On 75 minutes a ball into the box was only cleared to the edge of the box where Bradshaw chested down before volleying into the bottom right corner.

After this the Crabs looked comfortable and in time added on they sealed victory when Wilton was again too good for the left back and was fouled in the box. Harwood again scored from the spot.

Cromer maintained their place at the top of the league. This Saturday they face another tough away game against Wroxham Reserves.