County champion helps Gresham’s School to comfortable win
- Credit: PA
New Norfolk Under-16 School's table tennis champion Jonas Lee joined Gresham's School A's Robin Thaxter and Haken Bennell to host Poachers' David Foster, Aaron Howell and Andy Marsh in the Premier Division of the Star Paving Services North Norfolk League.
After being two sets up, Bennell beat Foster 11-9 in the fifth. For Poachers Howell beat Bennell in five and Marsh took a set from Thaxter but all remaining games were won in straight as Gresham's won 9-1.
NWSCA's John Vaughan, Andy Beane and Howard Lupton hosted Mundesley A's Peter Betts, Jonathan Care and Paul Price, with Betts winning the opener from two down against Vaughan before going on to beat Beane in four while Vaughan later edged Care 15-13 in the fourth.
Price's three singles all went to five as he beat Vaughan and Beane but he lost out to maximum man Lupton. A four set doubles win for Beane and Lupton against Betts and Price saw NWSCA edge the match 6-4.
NWSCB's Dennis Elliott, Richard Westgate and Werner Zivna hosted Sharks' Steve Patterson and Steve and Matt Hudson, with Patterson winning the opener in four against Elliott. Four five-setters followed, starting with Matt Hudson coming back from 2-5 in the decider to beat Westgate 7-11, 14-12, 12-14, 11-4, 12-10. Zivna then beat Steve Hudson,e Patterson saved three match-points at 7-10 down in the decider to beat Westgate 13-11 and Elliott edged Steve Hudson 14-12 in the fifth. With the exception of Westgate's win in straight against Steve Hudson the second half of the match belonged to Sharks – Matt Hudson beat Elliott in five and four wins in straight saw the visitors win 7-3.
You may also want to watch:
Aylsham Hathors' Ian Potter, Peter Ward and Harley Dyson hosted NWSCD's Phil Mole, Stuart Hook and James Lester (playing up) and went down 7-3.
- 1 Your say - What is your favourite restaurant in north Norfolk?
- 2 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 3 Sisters reopen popular riverside pub
- 4 Vets announces temporary closure due to staff shortages
- 5 Appeal to find missing man from London last seen at Norfolk campsite
- 6 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 7 The sea has to be respected - so why don’t people learn?
- 8 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 9 Hospital investigated over 'contentious' deaths goes bust owing £4m
- 10 Coastguard joins search for missing London man last seen in Norfolk
In the First Division LCC Lobsters' Chris Gould, Ross Murray and Tim Dawson hosted Barracudas' Chris Marshall, Keith Register and Nigel Brady (playing up) and won 6-4 whileGresham's School B's Steve Price, Stefan Iwanczyle and Seamus Chambers won 10-0 against NWSCC and Aylsham Enterprise's Daniel Atkins and Ray and Jonny Gale won 10-0 away to Mundesley B.