Chance to have a go at tennis in LTA event at Cromer
- Credit: Archant
Cromer Tennis Club will be hosting a Great British Tennis Weekend event this Saturday from 10am. Coach Andy Margarson will be organising taster sessions for juniors and adults, free family play and a club session.
To take part ring the club on 01263 513741 or contact the LTA on lta.org.uk/gbtw to book your place. Flat shoes must be worn for playing on the grass courts.
Meanwhile a new adult coaching group starts on June 10 (2-3pm) for six weeks. It is designed for those who have never played before or haven't played in a long time.
To join the class at Cromer Lawn Tennis and Squash Club go to https://clubspark.lta.org.uk > TennisXpress
In their first match of the season, Cromer men's C team played Cringleford at home. Cringleford pair Rob Atkinson and Chris Hardwick brought their 'A' game to their first rubber against Alan Hudson and Chris Hoffman to beat them 14-2 but Alan and Chris managed to find their feet against Fraser MacMillan and Stuart Malone, although they lost 10-6.
Matt and Steve Jordon won their match against Fraser and Stuart 9-7 but went down against Rob and Chris 4-12, with Cringleford winning 43-21.
The Ladies' C team played Aylsham B on the grass at Cromer and won 38-36.
- 1 Village pub reopening after £200k refurbishment
- 2 New chef brings taste of the Med to town cafe
- 3 Sainsbury's moves to quash rumour of till closures at Norfolk store
- 4 Vandals target Banksy artwork in Cromer
- 5 Norfolk man runs 68 miles in one day for charity
- 6 Banking counter to open after town's last branch closes
- 7 'Rare' blue lobster found by Norfolk fisherman
- 8 North Norfolk pub re-opens as a hotel
- 9 Norfolk towns and villages which have received national recognition in 2022
- 10 Public toilets in north Norfolk 'swamped' by campervan waste
Cromer Ladies D began their summer campaign with a match against Reepham. Nikki Baker, the D team's new captain, partnered Maggie Tranter and they won their first rubber 10-6 and lost their second 6-10.
The second pairing of Zhouxi Bale and Caroline Freeth lost their first rubber 7-9 but won their second 11-5. This gave Cromer D the win 34-30.
Cromer Ladies travelled to Holt for the first of their annual matches against the Gresham's School's Girls.
Emma Curtis, Tennis coach for Gresham's, organised her girls, and play was very close throughout.
In the 'A' box, Cromer won 8-5 with three matches drawn although the games won totalled 64 each.
The 'B' box was won by Gresham's who won 9-5 with two drawn.
Gresham's won 69 games to Cromer's 59. Overall Gresham's won 14 matches to Cromer's 13 with five drawn and by a total of 133 games to 123.
The return match at Cromer will be played in June.