Champion feeling for golfer Graham
Mundesley's Graham Turner capped his golfing career when he won the Norfolk seniors' championship by a stroke at Royal Norwich. 'This is unquestionably the best thing I have ever won,' he said.
Mundesley's Graham Turner capped his golfing career when he won the Norfolk seniors' championship by a stroke at Royal Norwich.
'This is unquestionably the best thing I have ever won,' he said. 'I never, ever thought I would win a county competition, and whether I ever win it again remains to be seen - but my name is on the trophy and it can't be taken away!'
Turner, who is the first member of his club to win this title, set an early target for the rest of the field. He was playing in the second group out and his three-over par 75 was never caught.
'When I came in I thought 75 would probably get a prize but I honestly didn't think it would be good enough to win,' added Turner, who played very consistently after the first few holes.
You may also want to watch:
He started on the 11th and was two over after three holes, but settled down with a birdie on 14. From then on, he dropped just two more shots in his round. 'I was really pleased with the consistency,' said Turner, who is now playing off five.
Turner has made occasional outings for the Norfolk seniors - and indeed is playing for them next week - and he hopes his win will move him up the pecking order. 'It's a great thrill to put on a county shirt,' he said.
- 1 Gresham's School to erect 25 blue plaques for famous former pupils
- 2 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 3 'A lot of tears' as care home announces closure with 30 jobs lost
- 4 Town leaves Christmas lights on throughout January
- 5 Man in 30s in hospital after Mini crashes into tree
- 6 Study asks: 'What makes this town special?'
- 7 Egg and Spud Man's delivery service booms in lockdown
- 8 Councillor asks people to speak up after confronting lockdown rule breakers
- 9 Last chance to own historic items as town hall goes under offer
- 10 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
He has been a Mundesley member since he took up golf at the age of 21 and has played in the club's Myhill team every year since 1973 and has twice helped the team to victory.
Turner will also be teeing up in the finals of the English golf captain's competition.