Champion feeling for golfer Graham
Mundesley's Graham Turner capped his golfing career when he won the Norfolk seniors' championship by a stroke at Royal Norwich. 'This is unquestionably the best thing I have ever won,' he said.
Mundesley's Graham Turner capped his golfing career when he won the Norfolk seniors' championship by a stroke at Royal Norwich.
'This is unquestionably the best thing I have ever won,' he said. 'I never, ever thought I would win a county competition, and whether I ever win it again remains to be seen - but my name is on the trophy and it can't be taken away!'
Turner, who is the first member of his club to win this title, set an early target for the rest of the field. He was playing in the second group out and his three-over par 75 was never caught.
'When I came in I thought 75 would probably get a prize but I honestly didn't think it would be good enough to win,' added Turner, who played very consistently after the first few holes.
You may also want to watch:
He started on the 11th and was two over after three holes, but settled down with a birdie on 14. From then on, he dropped just two more shots in his round. 'I was really pleased with the consistency,' said Turner, who is now playing off five.
Turner has made occasional outings for the Norfolk seniors - and indeed is playing for them next week - and he hopes his win will move him up the pecking order. 'It's a great thrill to put on a county shirt,' he said.
- 1 Have your say - should north Norfolk be able to ease restrictions sooner?
- 2 Holkham Estate hiring warden - with tasks to include nudist beach patrol
- 3 Cromer Pier to re-open to the public from next month
- 4 Plans show how old former care home site could become housing
- 5 Bid to knock down care home and build houses rejected
- 6 School to test 150 pupils for Covid a day during March re-opening
- 7 'Unsatisfactory and dangerous situation' - Man frustrated by unlit roadwork
- 8 WATCH: Teenage girls fined after setting fire to public toilet
- 9 'Travel bible' names Norfolk beaches in list of UK's best
- 10 Seafront Bath House homes for sale again after price drop
He has been a Mundesley member since he took up golf at the age of 21 and has played in the club's Myhill team every year since 1973 and has twice helped the team to victory.
Turner will also be teeing up in the finals of the English golf captain's competition.