Busy end of the season for North Norfolk Wheelers
The final events of the North Norfolk time trial season have been held and the time trialists can now take a well-earned break before they prepare themselves for the 2013 season.
The Bard Hill Climb, as featured in the Tour of Britain, proved as tough as ever. Seven riders struggled out of bed on a windy, cold Sunday to take part. For the first time ever in a Wheelers hill climb there was a husband and wife riding – Louise and Owen Marsden for the VC Norwich CC cycled up from Norwich to take part. The margin of victory between Shane Hyde and Owen Marsden was narrowed when Hyde was nearly brought to a halt by traffic.
The following Sunday – another cold and windy morning – it was time for the challenge of the hills in an 18� mile time trial. Undaunted by the weather, Charlie Nurse not only put in a personal best but also a course best, despite having ridden a 50 mile time trial in an excellent 1:49:49 the previous weekend. John Hayward also achieved a personal best and Guy Thorold was only three seconds of his pb.
The last 10 mile time trial attracted 12 riders. Jim Burgess topped and tailed the season with wins in 21.57m and 21.59m. The showdown with Nurse, best time 21.55 will be postponed to next season as the latter was taking part in an open event.
The 10x10 mile handicap competition came down to the wire, with Nigel Walsh winning by just 16 seconds. The season was rounded off by a social evening at Weybourne Village Hall.
The Wednesday and Saturday club runs continue throughout the year so there is no excuse for not keeping fit. For full details visit the Wheelers website at http:nnwheelers.co.uk.
- 1 First look inside: New deli and surf shop open on coast
- 2 Council urged to take over ownership of derelict Cromer nightclub
- 3 'Amazing' display of cascading poppies now on display in Cromer
- 4 Car set alight in arson attack in north Norfolk
- 5 How north Norfolk will be celebrating the Jubilee
- 6 More details revealed on replacement for beloved coastal railway
- 7 Man swims for survival after speedboat sinks off Norfolk coast
- 8 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 9 Norfolk singer's big hopes for her girl band's debut single
- 10 Sole survivor peregrine chick is ringed