Bensley hat-trick for Yachtsmen
Wroxham 3, Wivenhoe 0Wroxham's bid to consolidate a position in the top five seemed likely to prosper against a struggling Wivenhoe outfit, writes Roy Webster.
Wroxham 3, Wivenhoe 0
Wroxham's bid to consolidate a position in the top five seemed likely to prosper against a struggling Wivenhoe outfit, writes Roy Webster.
The Yachtsmen went into the break with a deserved two-goal lead - a just reward for their passing game and the effort of Dan Bensley, who scored twice.
Dan Bensley opened the scoring in the 10th minute when he fastened on to a through-ball, made 10 yards, and coolly fired into the back of the net beneath advancing keeper, Reid.
Wivenhoe continued gamely and Wright received in space from Rymer, but was far too slow off the mark, allowing White to tackle back.
Cook spotted the keeper off his line, but the custodian managed to gather the ball while toppling backward.
- 1 Norfolk singer's big hopes for her girl band's debut single
- 2 Man died on 50th birthday at Norfolk coastal campsite
- 3 First coastal road marathon in three decades hailed 'magnificent' success
- 4 Mammoth Marathon winner says course was 'one of the hardest'
- 5 'Everything has gone up' - How mum Melanie is dealing with cost of living
- 6 Man swims for survival after speedboat sinks off Norfolk coast
- 7 Six beaches in Norfolk awarded Blue Flag status for 2022
- 8 North Norfolk hotel named among most romantic and best small stays in UK
- 9 'Rainbow of rhodies' puts on stunning display at Sheringham Park
- 10 Travel: Stay on the UK's first floating glamping pod...in Beccles
Wroxham then won a series of corners, which ended with Cook firing wide and the
same player was fouled by the keeper, but the free-kick came to nothing.
The Yachtsmen added to their score in the 38th minute with a pretty move involving three players.
Howes delivered the ball to Cook, who breasted it through a clutch of defenders to Bensley, who picked his spot.
Wroxham came within a few coats of paint of scoring a third goal, but this great header dipped onto the bar and out of play.
The visitors then raised their game and Manuel made space for himself only to fire directly at Smith and then Wright, under no pressure, contrived to fire wide.
Wroxham secured the points with a third goal in the 85th minute when Bensley completed his first hat-trick in Wroxham's colours.
Wroxham: Smith, Halliday, Howes, Challen, Carus, Bensley, White, Lemmon, Cook, Self, Gilmore. Subs: Pauling, McCabe, Miller, Wines.
Wivenhoe: Reid, Sibbons, Evans, Amass, Gould, Rymer, Manuel, Springett, Wright, Parsons, Gregory, Griggs. Subs: Rymarc.
Ref: Mr M Bampton.