Bensley hat-trick for Yachtsmen
Wroxham 3, Wivenhoe 0Wroxham's bid to consolidate a position in the top five seemed likely to prosper against a struggling Wivenhoe outfit, writes Roy Webster.
Wroxham 3, Wivenhoe 0
Wroxham's bid to consolidate a position in the top five seemed likely to prosper against a struggling Wivenhoe outfit, writes Roy Webster.
The Yachtsmen went into the break with a deserved two-goal lead - a just reward for their passing game and the effort of Dan Bensley, who scored twice.
Dan Bensley opened the scoring in the 10th minute when he fastened on to a through-ball, made 10 yards, and coolly fired into the back of the net beneath advancing keeper, Reid.
You may also want to watch:
Wivenhoe continued gamely and Wright received in space from Rymer, but was far too slow off the mark, allowing White to tackle back.
Cook spotted the keeper off his line, but the custodian managed to gather the ball while toppling backward.
- 1 The Original Factory Shop to open new site in north Norfolk
- 2 'Power buyers' help pump up north Norfolk housing market to new heights
- 3 Amazing aerial shots show scale of shipwreck
- 4 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 5 Foodbank changes name to reflect increased demand
- 6 Beavers hard at work transforming chalk stream after Norfolk introduction
- 7 See inside this converted Victorian school on sale for £650,000
- 8 Have your say on bid to improve North Walsham town centre
- 9 Locations revealed for Norfolk's new £500k art trail
- 10 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
Wroxham then won a series of corners, which ended with Cook firing wide and the
same player was fouled by the keeper, but the free-kick came to nothing.
The Yachtsmen added to their score in the 38th minute with a pretty move involving three players.
Howes delivered the ball to Cook, who breasted it through a clutch of defenders to Bensley, who picked his spot.
Wroxham came within a few coats of paint of scoring a third goal, but this great header dipped onto the bar and out of play.
The visitors then raised their game and Manuel made space for himself only to fire directly at Smith and then Wright, under no pressure, contrived to fire wide.
Wroxham secured the points with a third goal in the 85th minute when Bensley completed his first hat-trick in Wroxham's colours.
Wroxham: Smith, Halliday, Howes, Challen, Carus, Bensley, White, Lemmon, Cook, Self, Gilmore. Subs: Pauling, McCabe, Miller, Wines.
Wivenhoe: Reid, Sibbons, Evans, Amass, Gould, Rymer, Manuel, Springett, Wright, Parsons, Gregory, Griggs. Subs: Rymarc.
Ref: Mr M Bampton.