Beach Runners well placed
With most of the faster North Norfolk Beach Runners turning out for the Coltishall 10k, the Cromer club occupied six of the top 20 places.The day's outstanding run came from Steve Jones, making his first appearance in a Beach Runners' vest as a veteran.
With most of the faster North Norfolk Beach Runners turning out for the Coltishall 10k, the Cromer club occupied six of the top 20 places.
The day's outstanding run came from Steve Jones, making his first appearance in a Beach Runners' vest as a veteran. With a hugely impressive time of 34:19 for fifth place overall, Jones won the over-40 first prize by more than two minutes.
Chris Merrylees and Phil Quantrill had a fantastic battle - a sign of great rivalry to come - but it was Merrylees who took 12th place, just five seconds ahead of the new recruit from Yarmouth.
Not far behind was a trio of Beach Runners, Darren Neale, Richard Blake and Dena Parfitt, crossing the line within 10 seconds of each other. Dena looked sharp in her build-up to London, finishing three minutes ahead of her nearest rival for first lady.
Clive Hedges continued his steady rehabilitation with an excellent time of 40:15 and will surely go under the 40-minute barrier later in the summer, whilst Jim Hayes collected yet another first over-60 prize with a fine run for 32nd place overall.
Terry Quigley had a good, steady run to clock 42:35 for 42nd place, whilst three of the next four Beach Runners across the line were from the Wade family. Only Ian Jarvis separated the trio, with Chris Wade finishing 19 seconds ahead of his father, Ian. Younger brother Jamie could not stay with the fleet-footed pair, but his time will surely come.
- 1 First look inside: New deli and surf shop open on coast
- 2 Council urged to take over ownership of derelict Cromer nightclub
- 3 'Beheading' comment sees councillor reported to police
- 4 Norfolk singer's big hopes for her girl band's debut single
- 5 Prince Harry's ex marries north Norfolk hotelier
- 6 Man died on 50th birthday at Norfolk coastal campsite
- 7 Man swims for survival after speedboat sinks off Norfolk coast
- 8 Two men arrested in connection with string of cooking oil thefts
- 9 The Female Fisherman 'overwhelmed' by national award win
- 10 'Everything has gone up' - How mum Melanie is dealing with cost of living
Further back in the field, four more Beach Runners enjoyed the calm, sunny conditions and the picturesque rural course. Michael Harvey, Mike Marshall, Andrea Osborne and Katrine Middleton all tuned up well for the summer season with good runs.