Beach Runners earn medals
NORTH Norfolk Beach Runners had a morning to remember at the Wissey Half Marathon, with the Cromer club taking home three county gold medals. Chris Merrylees produced an outstanding performance to finish seventh overall in a personal best of 1-19:57.
NORTH Norfolk Beach Runners had a morning to remember at the Wissey Half Marathon, with the Cromer club taking home three county gold medals. Chris Merrylees produced an outstanding performance to finish seventh overall in a personal best of 1-19:57. As the first Norfolk runner home, Chris took a memorable gold for winning the County Championship.
There were strong runs from John Christopher, second over 45 in 1-24:22 and Richard Blake, third over 55 in a superb time of 1-26:01.
For the umpteenth time this year, Jim Hayes and Brenda Kinch triumphed in the 60 plus age group. Jim was 39th in an excellent 1-29:30 whilst Brenda pulled away from her main rival at the first water station and made light work of a strong headwind mid-race to demolish her previous pb by nearly a minute.
Also running well were the fast-improving John Leach and Geoff Hayward, who took a county bronze in the over 60s with an excellent 1-45:14.
You may also want to watch:
Pictured above are Jim, Brenda, Geoff and Chris.
Four other Beach Runners turned out to enjoy the pleasant conditions at Oxburgh Hall. Mike Marshall, Louise Tiplady, Margaret Ison and Lesley Hennessey all had excellent runs. Slightly further afield Malcolm Ball ran in the Lincolnshire Wolds Hilly 10 mile race. Malcolm won the over 75s by around 28 minutes.
- 1 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast
- 2 Popular restaurant to reopen after staffing issues
- 3 Ex-landlord, 95, pulls pint in his old pub after 32 years
- 4 House next to 384-year-old shop on market for £700k
- 5 What next for town, a year after supermarket inferno?
- 6 Tax in post: Only Fools and Horses van racks up fines
- 7 Norfolk to get a 250-mile art trail - funded by European cash
- 8 Teenage boy found a week after being reported missing
- 9 McDonald's hiring in Norfolk and plans new restaurants
- 10 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England