Bacton’s veteran duo in spotlight
BACTON'S 70-year-olds Nobby Cobb and Dave Gale were both playing against The Old Owens touring side on Sunday, May 29.
As is customary in these type of games, the touring side were given first use of the strip, and they set about the Bacton bowling with gusto.
Fifty-eight runs came off the first six overs with Dawson-Goody particularly severe on the opening bowlers. With runs coming at a fast rate, skipper Adam Larter had to ring the changes and he brought on 70-year-old David Gale to stem the flow.
Dave obliged with 2-33 from eight overs thanks to two fine stumpings by his co-septuagenarian Nobby Cobb. Nobby completed his hat-trick of stumpings and took a good catch low down as the visitors were dismissed for 201.
Following the tea interval Dave and Nobby opened the batting. Once Bacton had a total of 140 not out with these two at the wicket.
Unfortunately the stand didn't last long as Dave was dismissed with just two against his name.
Nobby carried on in his most belligerent style as the wickets fell with monotonous regularity at the other end. He was eventually seventh man out in the 25th over for 18 runs.
- 1 Panoramic views for every customer after award-winning restaurant's refurb
- 2 Hardware store owners to bid farewell after seven decades in business
- 3 The £500,000 plan to redo two town loos
- 4 Norfolk boxer fined for exercising in Chapelfield Gardens during lockdown
- 5 Nominees for the North Norfolk Awards 2021 revealed
- 6 Seaside village set to sparkle by turning into giant advent calendar
- 7 Freezing cold temperatures could see snow in parts of Norfolk this weekend
- 8 Meet the candidates: Three parties face-off in district by-election
- 9 How Norfolk's current Covid figures compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 10 Obituary: Tributes after 'heart-shaped hole' is left following teaching assistant's death
Bacton were dismissed for 99 runs, however a grand time was had by all, especially at the Poacher's Pocket after the game.
Dave is pictured in the floppy hat, with Nobby on the left.